Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Keep All Ikes ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2014  8:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Socal SilverHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Or strictly only the silver ones. I've heard so many bank tellers tell me that they are so rare and uncommon, that I dont feel as if I should spend any that I do come across- even if they aren't silver.

Look forward to your thoughts, thanks
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2014  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mailman28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are not rare from a mintage standpoint but it could be that it is uncommon for them to actually be in circulation today. Keep any you find interesting but I wouldn't hoard any of the clad dollars.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2014  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add noD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep all circulated clad I can buy for a buck.
A lot of the unc. ikes from mint, proof, and gazillion other (seems like) ike offerings are blotchy and/or heavily bagmarked. When I find nicer examples I buy them if the price is right.
I like Ikes!
Sorry if I rambled too much.
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2014  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Socal SilverHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a tube of 25 of them( all clad) just set aside somewhere. All decent condition. Is that considered a hoard or is 25 okay ? IF I shouldnt be keeping these I will cash them in and funnel that money towards different silver investments
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2014  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
aseegz==================

Quote:
I have a tube of 25 of them( all clad) just set aside somewhere. All decent condition. Is that considered a hoard or is 25 okay ? IF I shouldnt be keeping these I will cash them in and funnel that money towards different silver investments

Any 1972 (P) Type 1-2-3?

Any 1976 (P) Type one?

Any 1976 (D) Type one?

Any PEGLEGS

Any ERRORS

Any TONED?

Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2014  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Socal SilverHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't done any type 1 or 2 searching, just for silver. I got one that has two "2's" engraved on either side, I'm assuming it's someone who defaced the coin. I'll check and report back, thanks for the reply.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2014  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
aseegz==================

Quote:
I haven't done any type 1 or 2 searching, just for silver. I got one that has two "2's" engraved on either side, I'm assuming it's someone who defaced the coin. I'll check and report back, thanks for the reply.

I am a very newbie.

About 7-8 months ago, I was at the bank, and just ask if the teller had any half dollars. THEN I added do you have any Eisenhower dollars. Someone had just "DUMPED." I said I would take all. Been hooked after that. Big time.

The tellers had broke all the Kennedy rolls. Don't remember the exact number of coins. Believe I wrote the check for about $130.00.

After that, I was able to get a few-several $1,000 bags.

I hope you take an interest in MIGHTY IKES and you too get HOOKED. As long as you pay a buck for a buck === no way to loose.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2014  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't had much luck in finding them mighty Ikes but sometimes I'll hoard clad Kennedy's as a savings mechanism and cash in on a rainy day. It's almost like buying lottery tickets but you get your money back on the losers... Good luck!
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2014  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have kept every one I have ever received.

I should add that I have never bought a bag, box, or roll of Eisenhower dollars.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2014  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect them and any extras I throw into circulation for someone else to enjoy
Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2014  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kept everyone I have gotten. They all came from eBay, but what can you do? not everywhere has ikes just for anyone to pick up. haven't checked for anything except dates t fill the holes in my folder and they put the rest aside.
Edited by shadz
06/25/2014 1:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2014  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add half n a half to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep most, but usually spend the ratty corroded, scratched, dirty, etc ones. Pretty fun to watch the reactions you get!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2422 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2014  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We don't have Ikes up here, but there are Voyageur dollars, no longer found in general circulation. Every now and then I find someone's dump. When I have too many duplicates of the same year, I spend the less nice ones, for fun. Waiting for a funny reaction. I'm starting to spend my '75s since I found 20 of them in the last dump. I'll keep maybe 10 at most per year or major variety that I can find, unless they're rare ones then I keep all. And no, I have never gotten a silver Voyageur dollar yet, still waiting for someone to dump that and I come across it.
Toronto Coin Club www.torontocoinclub.ca
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Learn More...
United States
14293 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2014  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have Ikes in my collection, and I also have Ikes to spend on Project 100K
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2014  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I generally keep any Ikes that I run across (which aren't many). But I like to put them in Christmas stockings to use to scratch off lottery tickets.

I have bought a few 40% silver (blue) Ikes for around silver value recently. I really like the look of these.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4745 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2014  11:07 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep all I find, except for those I give to my son for getting good grades on his report card...

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05