Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Customs (Or Other) Problems Mailing To Spain?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
778 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2014  5:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BillSnyder to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am thinking of mailing my type collection of Spanish coins to an auction house in that country.

Might there be a problem?

Thanks,
Bill

Pillar of the Community
United States
1209 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2014  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 0xDA71D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's going to be a tariff, I think. Declare the value as face value to lower the tariff.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5947 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2014  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've exchanged coins with a Spanish collector for many years but never sent anything of real value - and within the European Community it's different from sending coins from the USA. I'm sure a lot of numismatic material does get shipped between the countries, though, as coin collecting is a big hobby in Spain.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1010 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2014  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any chance you will let your US CCF friends get a shot at some of those lots before you consign them?
~jack
Pillar of the Community
778 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2014  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BillSnyder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all.

Jack's idea is a good one (since I now know that there may be some interest in the USA).

Bill
Pillar of the Community
France
1591 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2014  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BillSnyder : I'd be interested as well :)

There is something those house can do - there is a temporary import law that let them sell the coins for you, avoid taxes for any buyers abroad, but european ones pay as expected.
You should contact them and see how they can arrange this.
Do you have an idea which one you plan to pick ? (Aureo, Cayon, Vico, other ?)
Pillar of the Community
778 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2014  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BillSnyder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have an idea which one you plan to pick ? (Aureo, Cayon, Vico, other ?)

I am now writing to these 3 Spanish companies to get their input.
(If mailing to Spain seems to be a problem, I'll start listing on CoinCommunity).

Thanks again,
Bill

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1010 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2014  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My experience with Spanish auction houses includes Cayon, Aureo and Soler y Llach, but only as a buyer. I have several 8 reales from these houses with hairlines, repairs and other issues that were not mentioned in the auction catalogs. I've been thinking of sending them back for consignment. So, I hope you will share what you find out.
~jack
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2014  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pruebas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with JGENN about the poor cataloging of the Spanish houses (in general).

Cayon is usually at ANA, so perhaps they can accept your consignment there. In the past, they have solicited consignments there.
Pillar of the Community
France
1591 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2014  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soler y Llach is the less serious of those.
Cayon is nice as a buyer (at least to me), he sometime use fancy starting price to heat the things up :) It really depends on the auction type - some fast internet auctions (without paper catalog) only are quickly catalogued (it's fun to look for nice coins to catch - but they also don't always mention all repairs on low grade coins, which are visible on pictures).
Aureo is serious and mostly catalog things properly.
Vico has less auctions, but is serious at cataloging as well.

To sum up ... I would avoid Soler y Llach to sell (as I avoid them to buy) - and either pick Aureo / Vico or Cayon depending on the type of the collection (go for the first for high grade, the later for lower - he also have lower commission)
Oh, forgot to mention, I've had excellent contact with the 3 later - the quickest to reply are Vico and Cayon. The contact with Aureo is excellent as well. I had no contact with Soler y Llach so I don't know.

Regarding hairlines, I don't think any of the spanish auction house mention those indeed ... There can be surprises - but at least I never had big surprises with repairs.
We don't use sheldon's scale here, but MBC / EBC / AU and so on - so I would expect the higher grade to be problem free (EBC / EBC+ / AU) ... if there is any issue, I would return the coin if it doesn't match the expected price.
There is also a miss-like for slabs (we don't like those tombs here :D ) - I don't think they add as much value as in the US.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1010 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2014  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't quite sure which I liked the most so I went through my records on the three Spanish auction houses that I've bought from and calculated some statistics based on my satisfaction with the coins purchased. The number of coins from each ranged between 17 and 26. Almost all went to NGC, with a few subsequently sent to PCGS hoping for better results. A couple had such obvious problems that I did not bother to submit them for grading.

Soler y Llach ------- 33.33% unsatisfied / 47.62% satisfied / 19.05%
Aureo & Calico----- 35.29% unsatisfied / 47.06% satisfied / 17.65%
Cayón Subastas -- 30.77% unsatisfied / 46.15% satisfied / 23.08%

The unsatisfied category is for undocumented problem coins. Satisfied is for coins that graded at expected levels, were documented problem coins or problem coins acquired at low bids. is the category for the ones that were superior quality or value.

Given the sample size, I assess my stats at pretty even across the three houses. Sorry to take this off topic since this is about buying from Spanish auction houses and not consigning to them, but I thought my results might interest others.
~jack
Valued Member
Spain
110 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2014  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moneditis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am with MathieuMa. I would avoid Martí Hervera / Soler y Llach. I had/have some problems with them explained in my blog. Also you can consider
http://www.numismaticaherrero.com/d...ntos/uno.htm
http://www.ibercointienda.com/
in Madrid.
I would be also interested in your coins Bill
Pillar of the Community
778 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2014  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BillSnyder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all!

I am in contact with Aureo & Calicó.

We have had a very pleasant discussion. In part, regarding shipping, they say "Please notice that our insurance thoroughly covers the estimated value of your shipment; you do not have to care about this. Concerning the import duties, those will be paid by the final buyer, and the bureaucratic procedures are our responsibility".

Tentatively, I will be sending my coins for auction after their August vacation. "(Since our firm closes for holiday all August, perhaps you should wait until September to send the coins - - " just in case there should be any problem with the parcel)".

Bill
Edited by BillSnyder
08/14/2014 3:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
France
1591 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2014  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent choice, I'll gladly bid on them - tell us when it's your turn to appear in the catalogs :)
Valued Member
Spain
110 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2014  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moneditis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will be bidding as well so keep us informed about your turn
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05