Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Take A Look At This American 1 Cent Mule?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Forum Kid
Canada
1074 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  4:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Vancouver IslandCoinKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey there everyone I would really like to know what this is all about, I have never seen anything like it... Any opinions welcomed.

Thanks and have a great day!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterfeit in my opinion
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Folded rim and loss of plating equals dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tryna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know nothing of ' dryer coins' but that coins looks like someone was trying to make a ring out of it. When I was about 10 or 12 (whatever a fourth grader would be ) We had a class trip to a farm owned by a classmate's parents.

Long story short Her father made rings out of silver dimes and quarters using a spoon. The first step was to hit the edge of the coin to get the rim to roll over. It looked very simmilar to the rim on this cent.

Cannot say why someone would make a ring out of cent, though.
Forum Kid
Canada
1074 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vancouver IslandCoinKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks everyone, your feedback is greatly appreciated, so I think to double check and to be sure I will put a u.s cent in the dryer. I did not even think about a dryer coin!! (umm)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2367 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatchaser140 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Tryna, dryer coins also tend to have a rim similar to a spooned coin. The reason I think it wasn't spooned is because of the lack of detail. Plus like you said, a cent wouldn't make a good ring anyway.
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tryna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ wheatchaser Just the thought of the sound that coin would make going round and round makes me want to bite me own nose off.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3072 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't do it !! It is a dryer coin , the noise will drive others nuts as it goes round and round and round and well umm you get the picture! LOL
Learn More...
Australia
13151 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VICK: just putting a coin in a household dryer won't simulate a " dryer coin". These things are usually generated in laundromats and industrial dryers, that continuously spin for hours, load after load, or the coin falls inside the machinery and stays there rolling around for weeks or months before the repair guy pulls the machine apart and notices the poor thing in there.

Also watch your use of terminology. "Mule" is not a synonym for "error" or "weird coin", even though some eBay sellers treat it that way. A "mule" is a specific kind of mint error where two different dies from two different coins are used to strike a coin. This would be a "mule" if Lincoln were on one side and, say, the reverse of a dime was on the other.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
Canada
8608 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the figures and coins in this link:

http://goccf.com/t/143863
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1730 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2014  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man, I was thinking " am I nuts" staring at the coin trying to figure out why it would be a mule... Looking for missing cents, or something.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05