Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Kennedy Error. Clip, Lamination, Pmd? Need Help Pls.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,847Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2014  10:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chettieyy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys and girls,

Ok well came across this the other day and it stood right out before I even had a chance to get the loupe. First thought was obviously PMD but the more I look at it the more I'm thinking I may have something here, question is..> what!? I took the best images I could of both whole coin obv & rev as well as close ups from many angles. I appreciate any and all input as to people's thoughts. Thanks in advance, chet

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2014  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just started collecting coins. Whether it is an error or PMD, it looks really cool! I am anxious to see what Coop and the others think!
Pillar of the Community
United States
534 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2014  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like damage to me. There is corresponding damage to the reverse, suggesting that the coin was hit with some sort of punch after leaving the mint.
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2014  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chettieyy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Grcoinguy and welcome to the site & hobby. There is a wealth of info on this site and friendly people that are always willing to help. Feel free to ask any questions you may have as I'm sure someone will have an answer. Yeah I thought it was quite interesting myself. I figured it was worth a post as I am still learning about different types of errors and do not know enough yet to attribute this correctly. Either way still a cool find.

Quote:
I just started collecting coins. Whether it is an error or PMD, it looks really cool! I am anxious to see what Coop and the others think!
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2014  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chettieyy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah that's what I originally thought too and might be the case but the more I look at it and the direction of lines in the damaged areas etc the more my mind wanders so I figured some of the experts will come along an confirm. I see what your saying and that was the first thing that made me say PMD but then I kept examining it more and certain aspects of the damage/error are confusing me.. Worth keeping either way whether a reference coin or something of value.

Quote:
Looks like damage to me. There is corresponding damage to the reverse, suggesting that the coin was hit with some sort of punch after leaving the mint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2014  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep PMD but it's still a 40% silver half
Pillar of the Community
Puerto Rico
778 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2014  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add junjun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone tried to make a hobo half.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOBO-NICKEL...em5669973610
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2014  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chettieyy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the comments and thoughts.. I guess it sticks with PMD for now unless something comes of this which is fine. I will take silver at face any day

Quote:
Yep PMD but it's still a 40% silver half

Thank you and Interesting link for that modern hobo zombie half. I like it but on the other hand I kinda don't like any kind of coins being destroyed. I guess it can be considered a form of art and to each their own.

Quote:
Someone tried to make a hobo half.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOBO-NICKEL...em5669973610
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45177 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2014  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone got it correct. PSD. I found the Hobo half interesting. I just wonder how they do it?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2014  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OcalaFlorida to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
youtube got hundreds of video on how to make hobo nickels
nfRxBbj11Ds
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45177 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2014  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, that looks easy. LOL

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2014  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chettieyy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop!

Very cool video..thanks for posting! Almost makes me want to break out the dremel and some junk silver or dateless buffs and give it a try but I'm sure it takes lots of patience and artistic ability in which I lack both
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45177 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2014  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, that was John's video. Interesting.

Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,847Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05