Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The 1961-S Lincoln Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 7,048Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1385 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2014  10:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Okay, this is a hypothetical situation. Let's say someone is digging through their change and they find a 1961-S Lincoln cent. Obviously, this is a coin that should not exist.

But it's sent to all of the coin verification places and they all determine that it's genuine. Size, weight, and composition all indicate it was struck in 1961 at the San Francisco mint.

What would happen at this point, numismatically speaking? Would people double up on their efforts to purchase rolls and search for more? Would the government seize it? Would high rollers try to buy it? Would someone be able to assign a monetary value to such a strange coin?

(BTW, I'm using this date and denomination purely as an example. It could be for any previously unknown coin, which is why I put it in the Main Coin Forum.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1212 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2014  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 0xDA71D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you want 10000000 1884 Trade dollars?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2425 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2014  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what they did about the 1959 Wheat cent, but I can imagine a 1961S having similar outcomes.
Toronto Coin Club www.torontocoinclub.ca
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Learn More...
United States
86344 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2014  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(BTW, I'm using this date and denomination purely as an example. It could be for any previously unknown coin, which is why I put it in the Main Coin Forum.)
We will allow it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2014  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tryna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, first the finder would consign it to a big auction house who who would then promote it. Then every Mag and website would have at least one article about it. We would all talk about it on this forum and the others. Then Agent Smith and Special Agent Smith show up at the finders home and the auction house demanding the coin because it was never offically minted or released so it is therefore stolen goverment property....

Oh yeah, that fellow on eBay with the 'unsearched' shotgun rolls would be selling rolls of unsearched 1961 cents for outlandish money to people who just know they will find the next one, and they world will go merrily on
Pillar of the Community
United States
1385 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2014  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, everybody.... that's what I thought! :)

I had never heard of the 1959-D wheatie. But that example pretty much mirrors exactly my question. I've enjoyed reading up on it. Seems that no one really knows exactly what to do with it.

Edited by jpsned
09/20/2014 10:59 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19315 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2014  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose this came up when someone found a 1943 Copper Cent. Then too when someone found the 1974 Aluminum Cent, the 1944 Steel Cent, 1959 Wheat cent, 1969S Cent Doubled Die and on and on and on. I'm still wondering what I should do with my roll of 1913 Liberty Head Nickels?
So many oddities with coins. Just look up errors on this forum alone and you'll be amazed.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16524 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2014  01:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still waiting for someone to find one of the 2000 S business strike Sac dollars. For testing purposes of the alloy and striking, the mint did a production run of 2000 Sac dollars with S mintmarks. Apparently all were destroyed once testing was done. (Or were they?)
Gary Schmidt
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2020  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChangeInmypocket to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know this post is 6 years old but has anyone ever made one of these yet?
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 7,048Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05