Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Elephant Denarius Of Julius Caesar- Authentic Or Fake

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2014  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add caesar77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As someone new to coins; having bought some from eBay I cringe at this sale. No way he finds three authentic coins. Further, we live in an age where everyone can check prices online. So rarely do we run into that garage sale where a 10,000 coin goes for 10 bucks. I did have one eBay dealer listing it as a Constantius, but this forum picked up on it as a Julian.So mistakes are made; sometimes in our favor.
If one is to buy from eBay then find a reputable seller, preferably one with a vcoins site as well. If a seller has 3,000 positive comments, I doubt they are passing off fakes. Anyone else avoid no matter the bargain you think!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1722 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2014  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It IS a WRL coin with the WRL laregly eradicated.

Here is a matching one with the WRL stamp. These are both modern cast fakes.

Edited by maridvnvm
09/24/2014 4:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
1106 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2014  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Topcat7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thank-you people. Back it goes.
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2014  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found it . The coin has the same tone that your's does.
http://www.westair-reproductions.co...enarius.html
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2014  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tony G to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The silver denarius Elephant Julius Caesar coin you are referring to is sold by an eBay seller who goes by a number of names because he changes his ID frequently to avoid bad reviews. He mainly sells this coin, the Elephant Julius Caesar roman denarius. He is getting more deceptive as people become aware of his fake coin. He now has removed the 3 letters WRL, which stand for Westair Reproductions Ltd.. They are based in Birmingham, UK. They sell a "Roman Coin Pack" and others containing this denarius. He also deals with the Pokemon stuff. He is based out of Los Angeles, California and eBay continues to let him operate. He has since damaged the coin and hidden the letters which appear at eleven o'clock on the B-side of the coin. In the past he has used poor photography to hide the coin's letters. He always gets his coin back by promising to return payment once the coin is received. Once he gets the coin back he re-uses it on some inexperienced buyer. Some buyers figure it out and request a refund and some accept it unknowingly. Therefore he always manages to get ahead. If he doesn't refund, eBay has a money back guarantee and refunds the buyer. This coin is highly reproduced; you really have to be careful. If you really want this coin eeal with a reputable dealer. Otherwise, you may be doing a lot of research and then trying to get your refund. eBay is always a gamble. There are a lot of thieves out there. Buyer beware. I hope this information has helped someone!!
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JulianEdward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello I am looking for a Julius Caesar Elephant Denarius.

This one is very low priced but looks too new and freshly-made in the photographs. I think it is a fake ?
It is a relatively new eBay seller in Bulgaria. I always buy ancient coins from reputable dealers so won't actually be going ahead.

Thank you

Valued Member
Canada
259 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arnoldoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, that one looks like a fake too.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1177 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
be very careful with coins from Bulgaria , most are fake.albert
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arael to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't touch that coin with a 10 foot pole, it just screams fake.
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

This is one of the most faked coins out there. Unless you re buying from a reputable dealer such as you would find on Vcoins I would not take the chance.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2015  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JulianEdward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. Bulgarian seller could do a nice line in replicas. It's misrepresented at a price of US$550 (which is silly low price if it was in that condition and real)
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16623 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2015  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Westair reproductions are numismatically valuable, provided they are collected for what they are.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05