Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Deceptive Ebay Listing?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,780Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
3602 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2014  9:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
States NGC MS-69 Prooflike in the title, but it is not PL on the label, so it is not what the title states.
Deceptive at best. Is it an eBay violation?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1880-S-Morg...251685591848
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4916 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2014  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think when they mention "Proof-Like Surface" they are talking about the cameo look that the coin has.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9346 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2014  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised there is no mention of the provenance. This thing surely didn't just appear out of the blue.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3588 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2014  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, simply stating their opinion. They show a clear pic of the slab so you know that is not a designation given by NGC.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2014  02:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JSabatke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can get pretty riled up about deceptive eBay descriptions, however, in this case I can see where the seller might use that term. I've seen a lot of PL dollars that don't look near as nice as this one, and seller does show the label (as mentioned by another poster), so my opinion is that it is an accurate description of what the seller thinks they have. I also wonder about the provenance, again as mentioned earlier, since only 12 known MS69 examples exist, and I would also guess that any MS69 would look pretty PL. I like this coin so much that I'm looking for my hammer so I can break open my piggy bank to see if I've got enough pocket change to buy this one!
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2014  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BluegrassRiver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you can email the seller and ask them to list the provenance by revising their description. I don't think it is deceptive. Just marketing.
Edited by BluegrassRiver
10/25/2014 08:08 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4853 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2014  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since Proof-like is a condition that has a specific definition and is used on slabs by the TPG's, using that term in the title without the slab stating such is IMO wrong.
At most in the description the seller should express an opinion that he sees it as Proof-like.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2014  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$55,000 will separate the men from the boys.
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2014  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not deceptive, but it's priced at about 2-1/2 times market value. IIRC all but 3 of the known MS69 Morgans are 1880-S. 2 are 1881-S and there's that one utterly ludicrous Jack Lee 1896-S.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2014  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grammatically speaking he should have used a comma after "MS-69". However; as he also included other information not on the label ( and not likely to be included on an NGC Label in any event); I think it fair to assume he was listing attributes while staying with in the allowed number of Characters in the Header.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2518 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
deceptive eBay

is a redundancy

Pillar of the Community
United States
1343 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this recently slabbed?
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,780Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05