Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

50th Anniversary Kennedy Silver Set

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  10:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Overpriced? I think YES. The mint is charging an enormous premium. Melt value for the 4 silver coins is about $24.83. Does the presentation case make up the other $75 of this package? YIKES!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3433 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has been said numerous times already. Quit tieing these coins to silver value. These are NOT bullion coins. These are four UNIQUE coins in the series. They are COLLECTOR COINS. The premium is based on that fact.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1891 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with smokerider. When you consider each special collectors coin seperately at $25 per coin, regardless of the silver content these coins are very beautiful (even more so in hand I am sure) and they will most certainly be among the keys of the Kennedy collection. Pricey, yes but worth IMO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are already showing up on eBay for $50-$60 dollars more than the issue price. Those sellers much be pretty sure they are gonna be able to get these to offer them on a pre sale.
Learn More...
United States
76344 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This has been said numerous times already. Quit tieing these coins to silver value. These are NOT bullion coins. These are four UNIQUE coins in the series. They are COLLECTOR COINS. The premium is based on that fact.
Quoted. For. Truth.
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gotboostedvr6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Using that theory the mint should then sell the .50c 2014 gold coin for 4 times melt at $3750?

In 2 years these sets will trade at $50 or less
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  11:58 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The present proof ASE sells for over 300% of spot and recent years has sold near a million coins...this set will be limited at 300k

As was mentioned it is not a bullion issue...if you want bullion buy bullion...they are collector coins and are priced as such..

Not a complicated concept

BTW....it may be weird but a sleeper may be the clad set of 2 priced at $9.95 and limited at 200k....and, yes, I know, the metal value is only 17 cents
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10016 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consider too all the work (R&D and minting operations) that goes/went into these coins with the various special finishes. Then there's shipping to send each coin to a central location to be assembled into a set.

If the price is not right for you, don't buy. But this is going to be a great set.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Using that theory the mint should then sell the .50c 2014 gold coin for 4 times melt at $3750?

Really do not know what "theory" you are referring to but the "fact" is that they are not bullion coins and the mint can sell them for whatever they want. Also a "fact" is that the Mint prices their numismatic products as, well, numismatic products.

Similar to beer prices....Corona in a store sells for around a buck a bottle (or less)...in a resort (drinker's edition") it sells at 300-700% premium over "beer spot". If you want one there you pay it. Same amount of beer but a different package (bar)
(can you tell I'm on vacation at a resort)
Edited by Foxwoods Man
10/27/2014 2:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7744 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this set will be limited at 300k

I was under the assumption this set was minted to demand.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10016 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 300k max announcement was made late last week.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2738 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  11:08 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 300k max announcement was made late last week.

Apparently, the 300K limit is for this particular "product" (i.e, packaging) only. The mintage limit for these silver coins is "none".

From the website:

So, I take this to mean that these 4 silver coins will be available in a different packaging format if these 300K sets sell out. I don't know- just a guess.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Edited by Darth Morgan
10/28/2014 11:08 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
630 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlbumAccumulator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting Darth.

Didn't the mint repackage 1 of the ASEs from a 2 coin set in another set?
Learn More...
United States
76344 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, I take this to mean that these 4 silver coins will be available in a different packaging format if these 300K sets sell out. I don't know- just a guess.
Interesting. My guess is that they will sell them individually for $29.95.
Pillar of the Community
United States
630 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlbumAccumulator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting. My guess is that they will sell them individually for $29.95.

I could see people getting worked up over this.

One a side note, the 2 coin clad set has a product limit of 200k, with no mintage limit.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  11:45 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no clue why they differentiated between product limit and mintage...

Too late in the year to create a new item using coins from either set...
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05