Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Preparing Coins For Flip Storage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,403Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2014  10:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ckm91377 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm sorry if this has been discussed on the forum before. I wasn't sure exactly what to search for so I hope it is ok for me to start a new thread. I recently started collecting coins mostly from circulation and, as we all know, circulating currency can be quite dirty. I have found some interesting specimens that I am going to putting into flips, PVC free of course, and am wondering what, if anything, I should do to make sure I am not putting them into the flips covered in anything that is going to harm them over time. I do not have anything especially valuable but I would like to keep what little value it has intact. Any assistance you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2014  01:03 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do Not clean coins. Most times that takes off any value besides face value. Someone else will be along and discuss dipping some in acetone.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
4722 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2014  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PVC-free flips or the less expensive 2x2's should keep your coins "healthy" for 5-10 years at least.
Of course that presumes you store them in a cool, dry place.
And keeping the environment dry is the more important factor.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2014  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Someone else will be along and discuss dipping some in acetone.

That would be me.

Welcome to Coin Community, ckm91377. There are collectors who rinse every single new purchase in acetone (I'm one of them). Acetone is completely non-reactive with coin metals (it can affect copper but only under conditions you're unlikely to see). With the understanding that acetone is an extremely volatile substance which enjoys nothing better than bursting into flame, if you use appropriate caution a few seconds' worth of swish in an acetone rinse is highly recommended. This is not considered "cleaning," and will remove any invisible PVC contamination.
Valued Member
New Zealand
72 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2014  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add magpie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bronze coins I find while metal detecting I rub with Vaseline before pacing in 2x2 holders, this helps seal them. I used to just put them straight into the holders and found they started to grow verdegris, I read somewhere about using Vaseline and haven't looked back
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19337 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2014  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I do basically nothing to a coin prior to putting inside a 2x2 flip. The flip is supposed to stop of almost stop stuff from happening to coins.
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,403Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05