Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1985 Quarter Huge Grease Error!!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

136 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2015  10:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add eagleeye4coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
2508 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2015  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you get us a better picture? I'm confused looking at this because while it looks like a greaser, it has some dark spots which make me think Environmental Damage
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42212 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2015  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a struck through error. (grease) What does the other side show? Full rim in that area on the opposite side, then that is what it is.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
136 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2015  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eagleeye4coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2015  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jay4202472000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks pretty wild. I almost expected to see a CUD on the obverse across Liberty. I like it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42212 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2015  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like something was blocking the formation of the rim on the reverse. Is the reeding on the edge missing on that area?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
01/07/2015 11:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7100 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2015  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And on a pretty rare date too! Very nice grease filled error! I save all the 1983-D quarters I come across, which was only 2 last year.

EDIT - Opps I read the date wrong! 1985 NOT 1983, Doh!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
01/09/2015 02:19 am
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayramsey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a similar quarter same year where you can't see quarter dollar on back and half of the word liberty on front above Washington's head is missing. Are these worth anything? Not looking to sell just curious.
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jayramsey: Welcome to the CCF. It depends on the condition of the coin and whether it's really a mint error. If you start a new thread with pictures of your coin, we'll be glad to give you our opinions. Sometimes a coin is just worn so badly part of the lettering is unreadable, so we'd need to rule that out.
everything else
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05