Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Question To Those Stacking Nickels

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 4,201Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2015  10:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add B-stacker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
happy 2015 everyone!

I have been CRH nickels since jan 2014 pretty hard and putting aside all the nickel and cupro nickel I find. 1967, and from 1962 downwards I put in 2x2's and into pvc free plastic sheets, then into binders. I sort the rest into different piles according to date. From there I roll them in the plastic rolls you buy from the dollarama. I plan on holding these nickels for the long term and my question is best possible storage options to avoid my coins going green, or pitting, any kind of damage that will ruin them.

What is everyone else doing? do you keep them unrolled in glass jars? do you order special pvc free wraps? do you hoard them in box's that come from the bank? I put aside any coin I have with green on it. and the other day tried a few different ways of cleaning them and nothing worked well. if I got the green off the coin looked horrible after. and obviously not worth cleaning a nickel lol, especially when you plan on selling it for scrap value. I am under the impression the green coins spread like cancer and infect other coins, but by the amount of green ones I do get, which is super low, I would guess these storage issues arent that big of a deal? ughh I'm all over the place here sorry. I have a lot of rolls and I have a kind of caring love for them... :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1048 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2015  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the first thing I'd do for long term storage is take them out of the dollarama rollers, I highly doubt they are PVC free. I have a fair bit of coin stored in glass sealers with glass lids and silica packs to absorb moisture. If you are going to be storing for a very long time, the green (verdigris)loves time to grow. Pure acetone works good on the green, but hardened green usually has it's roots into the coin. I think if I was to start hoarding nickel I'd put all the ones I'm going to hoard through a acetone bath to clean them before storing. Sounds like a lot of work and extra cost, also CAUTION with acetone highly flammable and the fumes are overpowering, so a well ventilated space. It also evaporates very quick. Good luck and cheers......oh yes welcome to the forum.
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2015  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add B-stacker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the warm welcome, and the quick response. I have been thinking about putting them in glass jars for a while now, I just love having them in rolls as I like to lay them out and look what ive accomplished every few weeks :P. where would one buy this acetone from? and is that for the cupro-nickel only or the 99.9% nickel too.?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1048 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2015  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone in pure form only, no nail polish remover etc, as it has other chems in it that could damage or residue the surface. Copper, nickel, silver cupro etc all safe in the acetone. I get my at the local building supply stores but always doulbe check the label to be sure it's pure.
Valued Member
165 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2015  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsarecool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
B-staker: how much of your time do you spend on this?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1048 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2015  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI........... the coins I have in the jars are not for bullion, they are all errors and varieties in AU and up only. Perhaps not a huge value there but there is a small market and a place in my collection for them.
Learn More...
Canada
10189 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2015  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I toss pre-1981 nickels into a pail... when it reaches a certain weight (20 lbs or so), I sell it to a dealer I know who pays a percentage above face for bullion nickel.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1048 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2015  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting SPP, I picked up 40 rolls at the bank last week and at least 35% were pre 81, it looked like someone was culling, as there was about 30% cupro and the bal in clad. I usually just send them back to the bank. Are there many dealers doing that?
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2015  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add B-stacker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I go to 2 banks across the street from my work and one across the street from my house, twice a week each. I just ask for whatever customer wrapped rolls of quarters dimes and nickels they have. I sort them on my lap before work and during. TV time at night with the gf an hour before bed. Maybe 4 nights a week doing that. And maybe once a week or whenever I hit a huge load if 500+ worth I'll spend 2 hours after work doing it. It is not worth the time I spend doing it but I enjoy it as a hobby. I have a stash big enough to be proud of now. I hear people talk about having money tied up in it, but I don't have thousands in nickels so I don't have to worry about that. What about you? If you do at all
Learn More...
Canada
10189 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2015  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are there many dealers doing that?

I only know of one...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1051 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2015  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anything that I find that isn't worthy of a 2X2 either goes back to the bank, or into a paper roll (for pre-81). The last marathon rolling session yielded 90 rolls of pre-81, but I'm just holding on to them for now as they are not worth a great deal more than face currently. IIRC, in 2008(ish) they peaked at over 20 cents a piece melt value.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
746 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2015  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allspice to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious... aren't Canadian nickels pre-1982, not pre-1981? The 1981 Canadian nickel is 99.9% nickel, isn't it?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1051 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2015  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, pre-1982. I always mess that up because my brain is thinking "1981 and earlier". Apparently I'm not the only one lol
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1048 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2015  04:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the give away on sorting them is the cupro always looks dirty vs the nickel.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2015  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I chuck them all into muffin tins. I like this because A) It physically shows me which nickels are rarer then other years and B) I can consult coins and Canada and then search each year for varieties (spitting queens and what have you).

If it has the King on the front I usually put them into a 2x2, the rest get paper rolled, labelled and tucked into a tuper ware container.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinnewcomer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great topic and one I was just thinking about but saw little discussion.

I decided to put even those Canadian nickels with Queen Elizabeth in flips if prior to 1982 as I saw that since 1980 the price of nickel has on average shown a nice healthy gain. In addition, I know fo no world coins containing 99.9% nickel as the Canadian 5 cents had. The reasons for Canada doing it of course were strong as it remains one of the large producers of nickel to this day. But it is cheaper to use nickel as an alloy to softer metals or plating those that corrode more easily than other metals.

And yes worth always looking for the Canadian nickels with the King Georges on it.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 4,201Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: