Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858 Canada Large Cent And Its's Varieties

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 86 / Views: 9,460Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1097 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  3:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear Members,

this topic addresses the Canadian Large Cent Issue.

During the last week we had a few different topics about Canadian large cents and Large cent varieties, specifically the 1859. But there are many others.
Some heated arguments back and forth arose, even getting moderators involved. The actual subjects were sort of hijacked into another, perhaps somewhat a bit related issues about numismatic books and libraries being essential for collectors.
the respective posters completely ignored that not every collector is like the other and that most collectors have multiple different collecting criteria and reasons for collecting.

I suggest it is everyone's privilege to collect whatever they wish, as long as they enjoy what they are doing. The most fun is probably finally finding YOUR specific coin, whatever it is, after a long chase! Finally you found it and it is irrelevant if you discover a small DC between 7+8 or through nine etc, etc, identifying it as being xxxsf-trgs die combo. That is possibly a bonus you might look at later. (Someone might want to start a topic with die combos as subject topic.) The point is, YOU have the coin you wanted for the price you were willing to pay.
Lets all please set aside these past days and issues and move forward and lets all get as much as possible information about the subjects of the large cents without going overboard on ideas of underlying identification, unless it is a very definite variety, known or not yet known. Die combinations are not varieties! Lets just treat it as a coin. I would hope that the experts here would be happy to participate, as their experience and knowledge is much welcome and needed. Lets please try to use the digital and numerical references sparingly in favor of straight forward descriptions or better yet, good images. Or, if using such digital Ids (beyond from the Charlton books), please provide a link so everyone can find it readily.
Please remember, Not all of us are "large Cent only lovers " and some are just happy having one or two of each year.
So, I decided to start this "unofficial" Canada large cent "topic" even not sanctioned by the Mods, with the
1858 cent.

Please everyone, be considerate and try not to jump to another year until this 1858 topic is fairly exhausted. Give it a few days and see what develops.
If you can not control your urges, then please start a new topic with your desired year.

1858 has a few varieties, although not many, and I encourage all of you to post your images, questions, descriptions and answers.
Not to worry, the 58 will slip easy on to the 59 as soon as someone in good time starts a 1859 large Cent topic. Of course it is your choice to participate and input your knowledge or not.
However, I am still trying it, to see if we can "pull it off".
Remember, once more years are posted, u can always jump back and forth in postings.
Here is my first contribution:

This is one of the first 1858 cents from one of the earlier dies. It is iMO not considered a variety, as it is , I believe so, complete without changes made to it, not considering DCs, and compared to other 58s.
Please enjoy.
I am wondering about the 1 in the date. Any comments on that?

https://i627.photobucket.com/albums...CCF%20forum%
20images/185817rev_zps87b8265c.jpg

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4752 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im thinking the 1 took a hit resulting in metal displacement which caused a strange look to it.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Valued Member
Canada
408 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a well placed 'knock' to me, not a variety.

I'll be interested to see what others post for their '58 varieties...
Edited by SelectCoinCanada
01/12/2015 4:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Dies OA2/RA3, one of the full vine reverse dies, described in 1858 Cents of Provincial Canada, Volume I.
Edited by bosox
01/12/2015 8:30 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
410 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need to put it under a scope if you can 8/8 first 8 look on the outside curve as it returns to do the cross over. You see a new curve starting next to it. Which match up with the fainter outline inside the bottom of the 8 And at the top you can see the thinner loop going over the top of the thicker original loop. Defo worth investigating further.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1538 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1858 which I be leave is a OBV 3 - RB12 ----Please verify.

cheers Don
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dies OC3/RC31 as described in 1858 Cents of Provincial Canada, Volume II
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1538 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dies OC3/RC31 as described in 1858 Cents of Provincial Canada, Volume II

Sorry don't have that book !
cheers Don
Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RB12 is a different die described in Volume I.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1538 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please explain in more detail as I don't have any of those books only the charlton 65th ed and would like to know more about them.
cheers don
Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don - the website in my signature line contains the info.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1538 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rob --hello from oldman I am still trying to organise the 3 but it will take a while.
So you are saying mine is Dies OC3/RC31 and not RB12
cheers Don
Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. Obverse Die OC3 married to Reverse Die RC31.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1538 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent and thank you
cheers Don
Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1538 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So that 1 is solved .
Next 1and last 1 ---- I have no idea.

Cheers Don
Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1097 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bosox,
is there any association with the known obverses of the other Vicky large cents?
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 86 / Views: 9,460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05