Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Blank Planchet Type 1 Quarter Or Just A Slug

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2015  4:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm pretty new to blank planchet error coins, all I have had up to now is one type 2 cent planchet.

My mom had a kid gave her what looked like a blank quarter at the school cafeteria and she bought it home to me to see if I wanted it. I'm pretty sure it's a type 1 blank planchet but I wanted to be sure given the circumstances of how it was found. Is this a real planchet or just a slug?

It's the exact size of a quarter but I can't weigh it. It's non-magnetic. Edges are smooth. Around the edges the metal is smoother with out the imperfections, not sure if it's just from where it was cut or where it had rims but got worn down. Almost has a polished feel about it.

The kid also gave her one 1960 Franc, 25 cents from Barbados, and a 1942 canadian nickel, so it's possible he raided somebodies dresser for lunch money that day. My mom felt bad for him and accepted it as .80 cents and instantly swapped her own money out for it so the til would come out even. My favorite is when the teachers can't get older quarters to work at the coke machine haha. I've gotten 6 silver quarters since Christmas from that.

Edited by Bertensgrad
01/14/2015 4:58 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35683 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2015  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be a type 2 planchet. There is a little curve to it.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2015  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the edge, is it a clad planchet? If you do not see the copper core, then it is most likely a slug but there is also the slight possibility that it is a blank from another country(a much more difficult item to properly identify as to country of origin).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2015  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no copper showing on the edge. There is a slight rim like look to it but its mostly flat almost like the rim was worn down.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5014 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2015  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2015  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a scale. I plan on taking it to a few shops this weekend that I was going to anyways. I need to finish up by junk dime collection before silver goes up and maybe sell a few modern proof sets my parents got me.

It has to be some kind of US or foriegn coin blank. It's the exact size and sound of a quarter etc. I have never seen anything like it outside of a coin blank unless someone custom made a slug to match a quarter.

Either way I'm keeping it and placing it in a 2x2. Just need to know what to label it and for my curiosity.
Edited by Bertensgrad
01/15/2015 01:10 am
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChangeFinds1997 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an incredibly worn out Seated quarter. Check the edge. If its silver and not copper colored then you may have a Seated quarter. You can faintly see the shadow of what looks like liberty seated.
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's a real quarter, is it graded P-0? :)

It would be wild if it's silver. (You might as well post a photo of the other side.) I wonder what else the kid who spent it has.

I must live in a clad-coin-only parallel universe, but then I also haven't thought of checking vending machines, etc.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35683 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A slug would stick to a magnet. Easy test to tell if it is a slug. Silver won't.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05