Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Keep Plugging Away But It's Not It

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 1,084Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
378 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  12:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks I have tried to read and observe and follow tips others have asked. As we all basically suffer the same frailties when it comes to photography. I am using a 12MP fujifinepics 1500 camera as it was suggested for the money you could do a lot worse. And iy has macro and super macro settings down to 0.4inch. I am plagued by bad lighting. Mainly because the mupet who wired the house put all the light fittings near the windows so 8/10 room is lit by lighthouse effect lol. Or what I mean is if I ask someone to turn the light on . It is on :(. So I shoot with a kind of room dim light and a table lamp light with adjustable neck.I did untill 10 secs before posting have a serious fine focus problem. But I turned off the high speed shooting and seems to have made a difference. I am a complete first month amateur. Never ever taken a pic before How sad?. I know its small steps but I just cannot get or am able to catch the luster as I see it on the coin. And to me its of paamount importance to have this when selling coins on when upgrading sets. Will I always have this dilema. I don't have spare cash. So I adapt to situations with the means at mt dispsal. If you could give me some advice on best way to get the coin to look as it should when viewed with your own eyes. I will be most grateful. Here are a few shots I did . first set was on Auto with some basic settings. second set the same but it controlled the white balance. The last set I did from my own setting as I thought it looked . I have not touched the shots they are as they were snaped. I only cropped them.

Richard

Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard...as you've probably been reading everywhere you have looked regarding coin photography, getting the lighting right is the majority of the effort. In your shots it seems you're using a single light at 3:00, and that the light is at or below 45-degree angle to horizontal. This is definitely non-optimum. An immediate improvement would be to have the single light come from 12:00, but even better would be to add another light or to split your existing light such that it comes from 10-11 and 1-2. Bringing the lights up at a higher angle is the next step. You'll know you're high enough when the sides of the devices are darker than the flat surfaces. Right now, you'll see the edge of KGV's back of head and QE2's face are the brightest highlights on the coin. You're shooting fr more like the other side, where KGV's face is lighter on its surfaces (nose, cheek) than on its edges. Make sense?
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 1,084Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05