Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Nickels Do You Keep?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  9:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SjlundCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I've had collectors tell me multiple things when it comes to what nickels to keep. I don't know whats really worth keeping and what's not.

What do you keep?

Poll Choices
 Pre-1960
 Pre-1950
  War Nickels Only
  War Nickels,Buffalo, and before

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was keeping pre '82 pure nickel Canadian 5ยข pieces but now I keep the 1970s, King George's and American. I am half way through a box now and have found $16 American.

I also check all my American Monticellos for the war time mint mark.
Valued Member
Canada
132 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DouglasFir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep everything pre 1960, for both Canadian and American, all 12 sided Canadians, War Nickels, Buffalos, and Victory nickels. Some high mintage years I don't keep like the 1964 or 1964 D Jeffersons
Pillar of the Community
794 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Normic67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nobody keeps the U.S.A. 1964`s. For me with Canada I keep basically 1964 and anything older and of coarse the 1970 one. With America I keep everything under 1960 so its obvious which answer I picked. I should be saying "used to" because you can not find old nickel's anymore where I live.
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just started CRH nickels, I keep anything before 1960.

When I was searching cents I kept all the pre-82 coppers.
Edited by Night Hawk
01/24/2015 10:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All before 1964 and I would keep 2009 if I would ever find any.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of the choices really applied, but here's what I keep when I CRH:

- Old nickels (Vs, Buffalos, etc.)
- Jefferson nickels for years with around 30M or less mintages
- War Nickels
- D Mint Jeffersons (1952 or before)
- S Mint Jeffersons (1954 or before)
- AU/BU Jeffersons (1983 or before)
- BU Jeffersons (1984 onward)
- 2009/2009D Jeffersons
- Errors/Varieties (clashes/DDs and RPMs)
- Impaired Proofs
- Foreign (Canadian and anything else that's the size of a nickel)

There are a number of folks who keep pre-1960 Jeffersons and I was one of them for a long time. But after awhile the numbers of nickels can become a bit overwhelming (at least for me). Hoarding had it's advantage in that I kept tons of nickels over the decades that I could go back through looking for varieties, but I've resorted to thinning out the hoard by doing that and keeping the higher grade specimens. I have a bunch of Canadian nickels that I will eventually do the same with as I try to put an album together. Other foreign nickels (nickel sized) go into a jar for now; no plans there yet.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Rackster
01/24/2015 11:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
836 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JonNickelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What we keep now:

Liberty
Buffalo
Silver
All nickels with mintage under 10M
1942d
Canadians 1962 and older (the ones that aren't round)

What we used to keep but don't anymore:

proofs
1958p
1938p
1946s
1948s
Pillar of the Community
United States
3880 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like Rackster, I kept the pre '60 for years and the boxes began to pile up! I questioned my sanity and ended up dumping thousands of nickels. Now, I keep only the War Nickels and everything earlier.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fist - at least your recovery began with you. I was questioned about the 'large piles'. It took an intervention! Since then though, I've released nickels and cents...albeit slowly...to reduce the hoard to manageable 'mole hills'.
Pillar of the Community
United States
836 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JonNickelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Each time we quit saving certain nickels, it was for two reasons:

1. They were getting too easy to find, lack of excitement for them.
2. My nickel container was getting too heavy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tkbslc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd keep the ones that are worth something.
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CENTertainment to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I was looking at mine today and realizing that I am gathering more than two folders worth, I debated when to stop pulling ones I already have. Then the question becomes what to do with them...
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep all of the ones I get in change, which is why I will not search nickel boxes (yet). I will eventually give them to my son with a nickel album. "Have at it!"
Pillar of the Community
United States
8028 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep the following

Non Jefferson nickels (Buffalos, V nickels etc.)
War Nickels
proofs
2009 P&D (they have a lower mintage)
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2015  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BamaBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been buying rolls of nickels for about a year now. I started buying them because the nickel is the only currently minted U.S. coin that the metal content is near the face value. I am aware of the wartime nickels having silver in them and I do separate those from the others...but, I keep ALL the nickels I purchase (usually ten rolls at a time) because when we have a monetary collapse... I'm hoping the nickel will still be considered money. I also keep all the pre-1982 pennies I get in change... For the same reason I buy nickels. Am I missing something here? BamaBoy
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05