Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Explain Your Username And Its Significance.

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  12:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The title says it all ! Explain your username, how/why you chose it, and if it has any significance .

So my username is Augustus Maximus. I picked Augustus after my favorite Emperor ( Augustus) ,as for Maximus . I got it from Pontifex Maximus ( the head of the Roman religion ) .

Here are a few names I was going to use before I settled on Augustus Maximus.

Senatus Populusque .
Solidus King
Valentinian Caesar
The Killer of Carthage - this one was actually going to be my UN before I changed it .
Can't wait to learn about your usernames . Best
Edited by Augustus Maximus
01/25/2015 12:22 am
Learn More...
Australia
13297 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are several "What does your username/avatar mean" threads in other subforums, such as this one in the Family subforum, but I don't think we've run one in Ancients before, so I'm happy to see this stay here.

For myself, in case it's not easy to find in the other threads: "Sap" is comprised of the first letter of my first name, and the first two letters of my last name. It's a nickname I invented for myself way back in high school, though only my brother and the people I've met on the internet forums still call me that to my face in the real world. I chose those letters because they actually spell a word; my middle name begins with "W" and "Swa" is both meaningless and hard to pronounce.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chuy was the name most of the people I went to highschool with knew me by. My actual name is Eric, but in my freshman Spanish class you had to pick a "Spanish name" that you got called by, and I thought Chuy sounded funny, so I went with it. I made a couple friends in that class who called me Chuy because they thought it sounded funny too, and it sort of snowballed from there. Eventually I was more or less only known as Chuy, and even my teachers used it. A couple years later I was with a couple dozen people I knew and about half of them didn't even know it wasn't my real name.

I went off to college and didn't take the name with me, but whenever I go back to where I grew up it's still what people call me. It's also what I use for most of my screennames since it's easy to remember.

The "1530" is from my childhood phone number. When I was a kid and we first signed up for AOL I put it at the end of my username, and I've just done the same ever since from habit.
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really had no idea that this was on other forums , oops
That is really cool Sap.
Chuy , that is an interesting story. Strange to think the name stuck so well.

Come on guys, don't be shy be like Chuy ( cheesy I know but I don't care )
01/25/2015 12:54 am
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ 'Sap', SWA is easy to pronounce (at least for me) - but with the potential association with swastika, I do understand your reasons.

As for me, I was somewhat surprised that the name was still available - even though I have plenty coins outside the medieval period, those sometimes difficult to get coins have now my main attention.
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One down a million to go .

The Killer of Carthage , still has a ring to it . Perhaps in the distant future
01/25/2015 01:07 am
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why such a militaristic name?
To advertise you commitment to your collection area, perhaps RomaPatriaMea?

Where are you GTE guesses?
Edited by Medieval
01/25/2015 01:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  01:58 am  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought Chuy sounded strange even for a Spanish name (I'm Hispanic so I hear Spanish names all of the time), so I looked it up and in Mexico its apparently a nickname for Jesus ("hay-zus", a common male first name in Spanish-speaking cultures).

As for me, I am a total nerd for the early Germanic tribes and kingdoms, especially the Visigoths, so I graciously accepted to be their rex

Augustus Maximus, I think your name is fine as is. The Killer of Carthage is too wordy IMO.

I think if we are talking about our usernames we should explain our avatars as well, what they are and why we chose them. Mine is my nummus of my favorite Roman emperor, the Western emperor Majorian, who ruled in the very last decades of the Western Roman Empire. Had he not been betrayed and murdered, I think the Western empire would have recovered enough to survive longer than it did.
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 241, Byzantine: 44, Post-Roman Germanic: 24
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ThisIsFun because this (coin collecting, talking about coins) is fun .

Shortened to TIF on other boards and on my website.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  05:30 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rambled on about this once before a few years back but what the hey ..... one more time !

I began my collecting period with a damaged drachm of Alexander III back in 1976. My brother (MARCVS OBLIVIVS) gave it to me on condition that I set it in a silver bezel. He was attempting to encourage my artistic nature.

The BBC produced the I Claudius series not too long after. I was hooked !

Now my father operated a small business making hardware for locally produced products. One of the items being 'banged out' was a handle for some sort of "widget". The huge coils of steel were painted black on one side and paper lined the inside to prevent scratching. The only problem was the paper tended to stick and an 'idiot' was needed to sit next to a 'US Baird Multislide' and pull the paper away as it fed into the machine (as well as reload steel coils as needed).

I was that 'idiot' !

After spending 8 hours sitting next to a machine that made more noise than marbles in a dryer and bored out of my skull I decided something needed to be done.
A visit to the local used bookstore provided a few ideas. I bumbled into a few authors whose names I had heard of before after reading I Claudius. Suetonius and Tacitus ! So there I sat for the next week. A huge set of hearing protectors on my noggin, one hand tugging paper off the steel feed and a paperback translation of Suetonius (or Tacitus) in the other ! Paradise .......

While reading the books I remember seeing the name Rufus Furius mentioned in an offhand way. Something mundane like "I spent the summer with Rufus Furius". Now the name Rufus has always had comedic potential (apologies to all who carry the "noble" moniker of Rufus !) and the name Furius (?) well that really goes without saying doesn't it.

Fast forward 30+ years and I suffered a catastrophic back problem. The H1N1 pandemic caught me ! My own fault really as I volunteered to drive someone I knew to the ER who had a raging fever. After my own raging fever subsided the 'event' occurred. Two disks spontaneously ruptured and I was literally cut down. The top half worked fine and the bottom half worked fine but the section where they came together would not co-operate. Now if you have a 'nice' job this can be dealt with by benefits which make a 'nice' job so nice to have.
I had been for 15 years a self employed 'Hack'....... I was screwed !

After spending a lifetime of accumulating so much junk the thought occurred to me that selling off some of the excess might be a better idea than selling off the homestead. But eBay required a seller name.

Hmmmmm I needed to think about that
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
01/25/2015 05:41 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  05:59 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addendum I would note that Senator Al Franken of Minnesota is my personal idol. He is the one and only politician to whom I have donated money (I live in Massachusetts) and hands down my favorite modern writer (Maureen Dowd a close second). When I try and write something entertaining I always try and think "how would Al have said this".

One of the men who created Saturday Night Live and who was responsible for some of the very best of the best.

He is often referred to by a well known "Faux" propagandist as 'failed comedian Al Franken'

So you may judge me by the company I keep !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
01/25/2015 06:00 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16644 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
'SEL_69L' is the number plate on my classic car: a
1979 model Mercedes-Benz 450 SEL, with a 6.9 litre engine.
A veritable low flying loungeroom!

You find the same username on the
TOPKLASSE website, complete with a picture of the car attached to the username.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My user name is Child of the Weat because I'm from nebraska, where children of the corn was set/filmed, and I collect wheat cents.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sel - blimey, how many gallons to the mile?
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for me dutchgulden is very simple to explain: Dutch = I'mdutch of course Gulden was the currency like dollar before the euro came.
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scottk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is my first name and last initial.

Edited by scottk
01/25/2015 08:48 am
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05