Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do "Unsearched" Coin Lots Really Exist?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
Canada
8911 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2015  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found my 1920 Canadian Cent that day

I hope that prompted you to keep hunting for other Canadian cents as well!!
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2015  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely!! Being in Connecticut, we see our share here. I haven't put them in an album yet, but I will do so soon. I've pulled a pile of your cents over the years - wondering what I might have.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2797 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  01:30 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was a great moment for me: Oh what fun it was!

http://goccf.com/t/190212
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8063 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YES!
Hoards do exist.
I have a friend who inherited a collection of older silver coins.
He just put them away in a safety deposit box.
Gave me a list to look at to see if there is anything valuable.

Consists of:
130 silver 1872-1967 50c pieces
140 1883-1967 25c pieces
Hundreds of other early pennies, nickels, dimes
and silver dollars.
Complete set of $5.00 & $10.00 Olympic coins
Over 200 early American silver coins.

Have not seen any of the coins in regard to condition but
I figure the silver bullion value at over $2500.
Made him an offer sight unseen but he says he will probably hold on to them for a while.
Problem is, he's in a position that he doesn't need the money.
Says he will give me first chance if he decides to sell them though. Heres hoping.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. I have all these UNSEARCHED coins for sale
2. I just inherited these coins and have no idea what they are worth but will sell.
3. Someone I know asked be to sell these coins for them. I know nothing about coins though.
4. My (Father, Mother, Aunt, Uncle) circle one, just passed away and left me with these coins. They are for sale for ....

etc., etc., etc.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1102 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LibertyEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a couple of "unsearched" lots on Ebay earlier this month. It was expensive ($184 for 8 OZ) but I did get a 1889-O Morgan dollar and some BU halves, quarters, and dimes. Highly doubt it was unsearched though.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an awful price as long as it was all silver. If there was much copper, less good.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
325 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2015  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess like most I learned the hard way. Sure there are lots that are untoched and as mentioned are from sellers who never normally sell coins and have aquired a lot by some friend who's relative has passed away. I generally look at the coins on view. If we take it that its an accumulation over time. You would expect to see just about everything in the mix. Lots devoid of silver are searched. No matter what the sales pitch is. Lots where your looking at 1960+ with the teaser coin you can't read because it has been put that way also are searched and probably 4-5 times and then spewed out to gutterbay.I remember a lot with the "My uncle passed away and these were in his attic. Please don't ask what coins are there because I don't know anything about coins. Seller had sales of 0. You could see it was unsearched . Just the depth of coins I could see let alone the ones I couldn't. Like an early 1790's dollar. That looked untouched. I kicked myself as I had just bought an 18kg lot of unsearched(LIES) worse lot I have ever bought in my life. 90% QEII 1/2 and 1 penny 1960's. I pretty much know now what to look for. Sometimes it takes a while but patience is the key. I did snaffle a 100 mils palestine 1933 in VF. Which I sold on for £100 on a £25 mix bag. So there are bits out there. Always nice because it makes up for mainly disappointments
Pillar of the Community
United States
3880 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2015  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do "unsearched" coin lots really exist?

Yes, but not on ePay.

I have a hoard of 50+ rolls of wheats my wife picked up at work (bank).
I havent searched them but there are solid rolls from the 20'z and several rolls of solid 1955 and lots of reds. I've briefly looked at them.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
557 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2015  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StJoeBlues to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen two unsearched lots in my lifetime. My aunt used to throw all her Lincolns into jars and had a shelf full of wheaties. She was just a copper hoarder and had never looked at any of them for numismatic value. Alas, due to family politics, I'll never get the opportunity to look through them.

The second was a truly remarkable stash of silver. There was an older woman who died about 18 months ago. Her life insurance/annuity agent, Bill, is a good friend of mine, and an avid collector. He helped the family settle the estate, include 5 leather purses they found in the basement filled with silver that she had saved from her job at Woolworth's over a 50 year career. They didn't even bother to count the dimes, there were so many. The 3 kids divided them by weight. Bill separated out the quarters and halves and told them what key dates to look for. He personally went through the silver dollars and found the holy grail - an 1893 S. If I remember right, it graded out at VG8 and he ended up buying it from the estate. There were some other semi-key Morgans and a few real Trade dollars as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2015  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I don't have silver, for the past few years I have been roll searching pennies looking for copper.

Where my contribution to this thread begins is that I have been placing all my wheat back pennies into plastic prescription bottles (300 to each container) as I run across them. Paying no more mind to either the dates or condition than to make a passing note of the date. I don't separate the early dated Wheaties from the later dated Wheaties. I do plan on doing that step once I get tired of segregating copper from zinc.

However I also do the following:

All Canadian pennies are segregated by obverse and stored accordingly. So I do have quite a few early dated pennies in my possession. Further I capture all the early dated U.S. pennies (Indian head and older copies) and place them into flips and store them away without further ado.

I can assure you that if I was lucky enough to come across a 1909 S VDB I would not only place it into my memory but also put it somewhere special and not with my other Wheaties.

So my question is, do these items, (Wheaties, Canadian, and older U.S. pennies) constitute an unsearched cache. In my mind they do.

I believe that they would. I don't expect to get a lot of money for them but to me they are an unsearched curiosity.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16623 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2015  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a genuinely unsearched lot at a leading public aiction recentlty.
I was the successful bidder at $300. Total paid with buyer's commission was $352.50.
The lot comprised 103 Islamic and Indian silver coins (ALL silver). Works out at at an average of $AUD 3.42 per coin. Average condition VF. Total weight of the lot was a bit over 400 grammes.

That is much better than dealers' junk box prices.

The reason given by the Cataloguer why the lot was unsearched,
was that while he could readily identify a few of them, it did not make much commercial sense to take the time to identify all of them, and sell them in smaller lots, or individually.

As the buyer, I am going to have a lot of fun, perhaps over the rest of my life, doing the job that the cataloguer did not do. If I fully identify all of them, the total value of the lot would perhaps be over $2,000.

I have some work to do, but I have already made some useful progress.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2338 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2015  02:50 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, but not on ePay.

I tend to disagree. while uncommon if you know what to watch out for you can pick up lots on the 'bay and make out rather fine.

I've done rather well picking up Canadian & world coins from oblivious USA sellers. you just need to stay away from the ones who state "unsearched lot" in their descriptions
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05