Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Buying In Bogota, Colombia

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,169Next Topic  

United States
42 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2015  11:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kolhoznik to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am going to be making a trip to Bogota, Colombia soon and I was wondering if anyone here knows a good place to look for coins while I am there?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19595 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2015  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May be a good hunting ground for South American silver coins.
Be street wise and keep your wits about you, when looking for numismatic items in out of the way places.
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2015  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also be aware that Chinese fakes are literally everywhere on the globe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1276 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2015  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Caveat emptor - buyer beware.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4234 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2015  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a better chance of finding good South American coins in the US or Canada than in South America based on our experience. Be very careful with all eyes open and make sure not to get nailed by hucksters ,counterfeits , held up or worse. One of our good customers was robbed twice and scammed on the same trip.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2015  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kolhoznik to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're these unfortunate events in a market stall or in a brick and mortar store?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4234 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2015  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the street at gunpoint and his hotel room for the first two happy events and at a market for the scam. In these places you just do not bother to advertise at all that you are interested in coins and or have money. Not smart at all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2015  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not been in Colombia for 20 years, but coin shopping was the last thing on my mind when I was there. If you want to buy something valuable you can find legitimate emerald dealers. Go with a reliable driver, and stay off the streets and out of the market stalls. When I was there "or worse" meant kidnapping, which seemed to be the national pastime. The Colombianos I was with were cautious in Bogota especially at night, and the situation for a foreigner is much more precarious.

All things considered, this might be a place to start, before you travel to Bogota

http://www.urosario.edu.co/Plaza-Ca...las-monedas/
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
03/09/2015 09:02 am
Colombia
14 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add guatape to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Old thread, but I've had ample experience since I live in Bogotá so glad to help in case anyone is traveling here.

There are no LCS here as in the U.S. Lots of Facebook groups selling. Lots of pawnshops throughout the city, but only some have silver/gold coins. I've had some amazing finds at pawnshops here. I've bought four South American gold coins here at spot, many which sell for high premiums overseas. So, best place IMHO would be to inquire at as many pawnshops as you can.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1736 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Casa de Moneda in Bogota is a great museum highlighting Columbian coinage from pre Spanish times through current. I was there in 2018 and it was free to go in and view.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,169Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: