Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Protected Proofs Forever (Virtually)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 5,403Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17065 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2007  9:22 pm Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I set off on a project to protect all my Lincoln proofs, every single one of them. Sadly, the majority of Lincoln proofs were improperly stored. This results in the most common effect of hazing, a light, whitish film that forms over the surface. I wanted to be sure my proofs never changed in any way with time, so I'm sharing my project with all of you as you might gain some info.

I follow the reagent grade acetone procedure I previously outlined in this forum.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...PIC_ID=20377

The airtites are placed in a 2x2 to hold them in my 3-ring binder pages. The entire binder is kept in a super large ziplock bag (available almost anywhere, local grocery has them) with a very large dessicant bag. That bag is stored in a plastic tupperware type container and that is stored in a safe that maintains 60-75F year round.

My next goal is to get ALL my biz strike collection in airtites, as only a few are currently. My local dealer sold me 100 airtites for $75 which I feel is a great deal and worth every Lincoln (pun intended). LOL

Here's how they look in the folder pages:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1713 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2007  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arthrene to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Thad!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1952 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add garylcsr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that is the same system I use and I am very happy with it. I don't use the airtites but I have no haze as of today.
Gary
Pillar of the Community
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim1953 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bad, where do you get the bags of desiccant, and how long does it last before requiring changing?
Jim
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17437 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the desiccant bag is inside the ziplock and that is inside th Tupperware it will probably be good for a VERY long time. It will take care of the moisture in the air inside the bag pretty quickly and then it will take a long time for any moisture in the air inside the Tupperware to work its way into the bag. And if the desiccant bag is one that is large enough to handle the volume of air inside the Tupperware it will absorb all that and still not need recharging. Then any moisture will have to somehow get inside the Tupperware, and then inside the bag. Through two layers of near airtight protection. So for all practical purposes it will last indefinitely.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim1953 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, 101. Now, where do you buy it, bulk or not?
Jim
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17065 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jim, I'm very lucky as far as dessicant. We have a lab instrument that uses 6 large bags, we have to change those out periodically, so I take the used ones home. Conder answered the rest very well.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim1953 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just my luck. Well I am starting research and will find a source. As soon as I find it I will let you know.
Thx Bad.
Jim
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17437 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just do a google search for silica gel. I did a quick check and this site seems to have the best price for bulk about $5 a pound, less in quantity.

http://www.veritemp.com/Products/

A pound will protect about 33 cubic feet. Since your micro environments will be smaller than that you could devde it up into smaller packets. Just have to have some kind of window on the packet s you can see the color change.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1231 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add onejinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to use a rechargeable one. All you have to do is nuke it when you need to dry it out

Here is a link to one site of many that have it

http://www.preservesmart.com/products.htm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2764 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting..... I may have to eventually do that. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds like a good procedure you've detailed! The only thing I might add is using a glass pipette since some plastics dissolve in acetone, and one wouldn't want that residue on their coins.

Oh btw--I have a source for cent-size "direct fit" Air-Tites @ .29 ea. Not to advertise here, but if you want the distr name, let me know...
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2007  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gatzdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
www.jpscorner.com has directfit airtites for Lincoln cents

100 for $32
250 for $70
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17065 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2007  10:00 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
That sounds like a good procedure you've detailed! The only thing I might add is using a glass pipette since some plastics dissolve in acetone, and one wouldn't want that residue on their coins.

Oh btw--I have a source for cent-size "direct fit" Air-Tites @ .29 ea. Not to advertise here, but if you want the distr name, let me know...

The transfer pipets I use are completely inert to acetone.

I guess I didn't get such a good price on the airtites! Please email the supplier for $.29 or just post it here....I'm sure it's not a problem.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2007  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim1953 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help with the desiccant, guys. A nukeable one, now thats right up my alley.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2007  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The transfer pipets I use are completely inert to acetone

BadThad-
That's just me...stating the obvious, lol

Here's where I picked up my air-tites:
http://www.valleycoin.com/index.php?cPath=300_632
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 5,403Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05