Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Is Ridiculous.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  4:53 pm Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is one of those moments when you just think, "Why would someone do this?" Certainly planted, and just plain stupid in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNSEARCHED-...em1e9e0c1ea3
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scout81 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i saw one of those once where there was a 2.50 gold piece on the bottom of the roll. then they said they didn't check the rest of it. I sure as heck would have just opened that whole roll to check if there were more
Pillar of the Community
United States
4650 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's from the books "Marketing 101" and "People Are Basically Gullible".

As long as eBay allows it, and the Seller offers a refund, it will continue unabated.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11593 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only feel sorry for the newbies that don't know any better, places bids on these
scams thinking there is something good in those rolls.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scout81 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they prey on people like us who love coins so much we open rolls because sometimes (but not most of the time) it contains a gem. I have never been so lucky to even have like an Indian Head penny peeking right out as the first coin. even when I have gone through rolls wrapped up from the 60s. but to be honest when I saw the one with the 2.50 gold piece on ebay there was a devil on my shoulder saying "it must be real buy it"
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scout81 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i saw a bad scam on the internet. it had a beautiful Morgan dollar in a slab marked ms-64. from what I could see this thing deserved a much,much higher grade. I thought wow I should buy it it's so nice and it wasn't super expensive. I did some detective work and saw that the lister had taken a picture of a ms-67 Morgan dollar (that I saw on another site as an example of the grade) and pasted it flawlessly over the coin that was originally in the slab. Somewhere buried in the description was something to the effect of "picture is not of actual coin". They are trying to prey on people buying the coin because it is severely undergraded. Watch out, it almost sucked me in. I have seen that trick used twice now with the same coin used as the nice one you definitely won't get when you buy.

thanks for helping us keep a watchful eye on scams!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4871 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And then there's 1940's-1950's wheats in the center
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So he drives around the country to estate sales? You would need a network green light and production crew for that to be profitable to you
Pillar of the Community
United States
1536 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add buddy16cat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, these are scams. Bid on the ends and that is it, discounted since you can't see both sides of he coin. I can get wheat pennies from the bank. I once got box from 1979 sitting in a bank vault. Some wheats but not as many as I would expect.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scout81 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One time I bought 8 mexican "silver" pesos from a swap meet. They were a dollar each and I was excited so I got sucked in. Then felt real dense and I didn't have a magnet. of course when I got home they stuck right to my can opener

I looked a little more at the different coins and there were three of one design that were all the same date and two of another that were also matching. The odds of that from random coins is probably not that good (unless there are like super common peso dates. don't know anything about that) I should have thought first but I was clouded by the "hopium" that someone on here talked about. I was just so pumped to maybe get a great deal.

I have seen a lot of knockoff Chinese Morgan dollars too on Not Allowed so they must be getting out here
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the forum software won't even let you post that name here. That's what we think of those people.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scout81 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hehe yeah it is real bad I actually had a sinking feeling (today) when I first saw their listings. stay classy
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2015  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gshobar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the one end that is casually (but obviously) hand crimped.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18551 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That term of UNSEARCHED is really, really just overdone.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4871 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only unsearched wheat cents I personally know of are the jars at my LCS. They literally don't search them; that's why I pulled out a 1909 VDB in AU58 and a 1911 S in F-12 yesterday for $0.05 apiece. I heard about someone who found a '14 D in that jar.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05