Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clad Coins Turn 50 Article

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 2,502Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
608 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2015  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add publius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After comparing the older clad coins I get in circulation with old nickels, I have come to the conclusion that clad coins are culled rapidly when the surfaces begin to wear. This makes sense because any appreciable reduction in the surface layer thickness would throw the electromagnetic signature right out of specification.

According to the Director of the US Mint, in a nineteenth-century report, silver coins lost about 1% of their weight in 40 years of circulation, the dime & quarter wearing faster than the half-dollar, in accordance with their greater proportional surface area.
Pillar of the Community
Sweden
1050 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2015  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add X2an to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, being unused to the typical 'clad' type with copper edges, I can't help but to find them extra dirty for whatever reason. I feel the copper edge, that turns brown after a while, is a sign of dirt attaching to coins. The copper trace isn't covering the whole edge either, it's pretty irregular. I'd rather use barrel plated coins such as those in Canada. They feel cleaner and nicer.
"Always assume the lowest in value for best possibilities"
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2015  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh dear heavens... my wallet can't take any more special sets this year!
Agreed. The four C&C sets are going to hurt my 7070 budget.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8660 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2015  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also grew up with real silver coins, and never bothered to collect clad issues. I suppose once the government goes cashless/all-electronic, clad coins might become more interesting?
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2015  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suppose once the government goes cashless/all-electronic, clad coins might become more interesting?
That is an interesting thought.

Quote:
Somehow in the past 20 years my views have changed. I don't even know when or why it changed.
I think the recent generations of collectors find them appealing since this is what they have pulled from circulation all of their lives. Perhaps your views evolved as you have become accustomed to seeing them in change.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2015  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cashless society is still about 50 years away.... since international commerce still depend on physical currencies. The train's engine is out of the tunnel but all those freight cars are still around the corner and down the slope.

As generation X, Y, Z matured and get into coin collecting, interests/demand for clad coins will pick up AND silver bullion market will expand with the growth of the world population as people climb up the ladder of prosperity.
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 2,502Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05