Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Celestron Microscopes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,811Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
382 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2015  2:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add skip79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone purchased or tried the new 5MP Celestron digital microscopes? CCN has been showcasing them at coin shows lately, but when I inquired about a return policy if I didn't like it (due to a prior bad experience I had with the Lighthouse digital microscope), I was flatly told there isn't one. I'm not prepared to roll the dice on an expensive piece of equipment and hope that it works to my expectations. I'm wondering if any forum members purchased this microscope and have any reviews to share? For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link to the product page on the manufacturer's website: http://www.celestron.com/browse-sho...l-microscope. Additionally, I also found this product http://www.celestron.com/browse-sho...l-microscope, although I'm unclear on the difference between them at the moment.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2015  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't tried that one but I do have a Veho vms-001 that I'm quite happy with.http://www.veho-world.com/main/shop...sbmicroscope
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34303 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2015  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a member has. Give it a bit and see if they respond. I have the 44302 and don't recommend it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1822 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2015  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought one took it back great for stamps no good for coins
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3421 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2015  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one, just got it from Amazon and yet to play with it. I bought the 3 axis articulating stand from AdaFruit (the included stand is less than wonderful IMHO). But I haven't played with it yet, beyond a quick connection to the PC and Tablet. I did find - as with most of these - focus is touchy.

I think it's still on-sale at Amazon, for something around 85$
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
Canada
382 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2015  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skip79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rocky and BStrauss3: what was the product #s of the ones you bought? Rocky, were you able to find an alternative solution?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3421 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2015  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$83.95 Microscope @ Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMJ1I08

$49.95 + s/h Articulated Arm Stand for USB Microscope https://www.adafruit.com/product/969
-----Burton
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2015  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you already happen to own a dSLR, that kind of money puts you into a bellows rig including lenses which will blow any USB microscope out of the water. It's why you won't see me endorsing USB scopes - the quality is pitiful compared to bespoke equipment.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3421 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2015  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely, and I already have a great rig at home (all y'all helped me along the way)... but this links to my tablet and gives me portable capabilities at minimal size/weight.
-----Burton
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2015  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the kind of thing you want for either portable use at a coin show, or for a low-budget solution to large magnification needs. They're hardly useless; my only objection is that they easily get into price ranges where there are far better solutions for the money.

Just don't forget that most of them take into account your monitor's resolution when advertising "magnification" figures, and most depend on digital zoom to get into the upper ranges. From a strict optical standpoint, a 16-18MP sensor will never need more than 4x magnification to reach insane visual levels of mag.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2015  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use 5x and 10x magnification for most of my variety images.

Here is a BIE imaged at 5x optical magnification:

And here is a Doubled Die in the mintmark imaged at 10x optical magnification:

But Dave is right that you can get away with lower magnification through cropping of the image. You could get about the same quality as the first image by shooting at 2.5x magnification and cropping 50%. You can get similar to the 2nd image shooting at 2.5x and cropping with no downsizing but the quality won't be as good.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Edited by rmpsrpms
05/13/2015 11:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3421 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2015  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in love. Brought it to the coin show today and used it with my tablet to image what I was looking at. When I shot these, I had forgotten to change the default image resolution to something bigger than 640x480, but that's an issue with the software (which is the best I've found but is really a demo of the API they are selling to build into applications).

-----Burton
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,811Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05