Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1952 50 Cent Doubled "Hp"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
767 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  2:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The doubled HP's found on the $1.00 coins have become well documented and very collectable but what about the 50 cent coins with the double HP. Here's a 1952 that has a very nice doubled HP I've found a couple of different ones dated 1952 with doubled HP's but this is the one that stands out the most.

Are there any other George VI 50 cent coins with a doubled HP, if so what years?

I'm guessing the grade at EF maybe AU. What do you think? TIA

Cheers, Bill

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins & Canada have it mentioned, there have been a few sold on ebay as well. It should have more notoriety as you say.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8063 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Charlton Catalouge mentions a Double "HP" for both 1951 & 1952.
Yours would be Variety Obv; DHP-2.
Also Zoell Cat. No.T454a
Pillar of the Community
Canada
767 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comments appreciated and I have heard of a 51 with the doubled HP but I've never seen one. Have you seem one?

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
Canada
497 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2015  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add west- canuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum, nice pictures. I have a couple 52 dbl HPs, none as nice as yours. All mine have different die cracks from the hoof to the 2. I have never seen a 51 dbl HP, except for the picture in the 2014 Charlton.
Valued Member
Canada
430 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2015  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pginrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After checking several hundred unique Obverses (as characterized by using different die cracks etc. as markers) the only 'Doubled HPs' I have found are the 1951 and the two 1952s as found in Charlton's 68th.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1725 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2015  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add koinpro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one might be my VCR#1/DDO#1. It's listed by Zoell (forget the number), and I've seen examples from Istvan Henrik in June 1990, Brian Raines August 1994 and Steve Olter in April 1997. Images shown here are of the Olter specimen.

Doubling is seen strongest on HP at the truncation, lesser on the entire profile, and even lesser on the entire legend about the rim.

I've published this variety in Canadian Coin News, CONECA's ErrorScope and in my Mich-Matist, Michigan Cherries column.

Here is a shot of the date to show the die marriage of the Olter specimen. Other marriages may exist.
Edited by koinpro
07/01/2015 2:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
767 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2015  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks as if mine could be the same obverse as in your photo's but the reverse appears to be different. Here's a closer view of the doubling on the face and neck area.

Cheers, Bill

Pillar of the Community
United States
1725 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2015  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add koinpro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bill,
It does look the same on the profile. Can you soot the date. Yours may be the same doubled die but a different die marriage.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
767 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2015  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is not a good picture, I just cropped the above picture so it's lost some clarity but there seems to be a lot more detail between the 5 & 2 on my coin.

Cheers, Bill

Pillar of the Community
United States
1725 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2015  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add koinpro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bill, Yes it does seems so.
Valued Member
Canada
430 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2015  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pginrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are four different Reverses for this Obverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1725 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2015  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add koinpro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pginrh,
Thanks!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05