Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Design Changes?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2015  10:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hibernias to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The last major coin design change in the US was in 1964, over fifty years ago. What design changes would you like to see made on US change, and why?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
6427 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2015  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dime! Oh man the dime! It has been soooo long!
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2015  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hibernias to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who'd you want on it?
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2015  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rubenbeagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know I sound like a broken record but. .......a return to liberty head coins is long overdue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2015  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dime and half dollar are both long overdue for a change. No more presidents on coins. The classic liberty designs are so much better. But they could design modern liberty images for today's coinage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
631 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2015  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Elimist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm curious what the last major coin design change is that your referring too? 1964? Are you talking about the transition from silver coinage to clad coinage that was first issued in 1965? Even though that is more of a composition change than a design change?

The dollar coin has undergone a lot of design changes since 1964. The half dollar may have the same design, but it too has undergone a few changes since then from what it was made out of to being just a collector coin for over the past ten years.

The dime obviously has the longest unchanged design. Almost 70 years. But when you say "major" design changes it seems a little ambiguous when referring to other denominations. 2004 and 2009 seemed like really interesting years to me because we saw really different design changes to the nickel and cent. 1999 when the Delaware quarter came out...seemed like everyone was talking about it because it was the first huge coin design change since the 1976 bicentennial coins. I didn't even collect back then and I remember everyone talking about the new quarters.

Yeah the obverses on most of the coin denominations haven't changed much and we still are in the era of "presidential" themed coins, but we had those since before 1964...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2015  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tweak800 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking the same thing elimist. But as far as changes if Hilary Clinton makes it to presidency then we could finally put a woman on the front. Hahaha. No I am a big fan of the Standing Liberty quarters the reverse is amazing to look at I don't know why but I can stare at that coin forever
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2015  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hibernias to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm unsure what the last design change is that your referring to?

I meant the change to the Kennedy half in 1964- that kind of complete design change.
Sorry for any confusion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2015  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know I sound like a broken record but. .......a return to liberty head coins is long overdue.

ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Japan
556 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2015  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Half to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Animals on the front and shields or torches on the back of the cent and nickel.

Lady liberty on the front and monuments on the back of the Dime, Quarter, and half.

Space theme for the front and heraldic eagle on the back of dollars.

Let the ASE be. LOL

Using modern renditions of said designs of course. I wonder what type of life high reliefs and detail could be achieved on circulating coinage with the modern composition.
Have a great day!

Want list: http://goccf.com/t/347082

My collections:
OFEC (One from every century) http://goccf.com/t/322232#2825498
BU Jefferson 1938-present, BU Sacajawea, Circulated US Date set 1776 - present
Learn More...
United States
84101 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2015  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have been playing that record for years.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2015  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, we should just go back to wheat cents! Also, if we brought back the Barber dime, that would be cool with me!
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2015  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hibernias to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder what a modern Liberty Head design would look like?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5833 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2015  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would consider the post-2005 nickels to be a change in design. I hate it, but it technically counts.

I would actually like to see something like the ATB series for the rest of the coins. Maybe not 5 designs per year, but boot the dead white guys and replace them with symbols of America's natural beauty and cultural/historical Heritage.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2015  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hibernias to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Boot the dead white guys off and replace them with symbols of America's natural beauty.

That would be nice. And yeah, the post-2005 nickels are very, very ugly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
631 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2015  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Elimist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually.....does anybody know what the future plans are for coin design changes? Is there some sort of publication out there what the plans are for the dollar coins after the presidents run out? Just sticking to sac dollars? I know the ATB Quarters are still running for several years but any publication for plans for the dime?
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05