Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

'ant Nose' Money

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 3,483Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2015  4:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Johndakerftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I've finally made a coin purchase after being on hiatus for a couple months. I figured I'd have to follow up my ancient pin purchase with a new coin. :D

It's an 'ant nose' coin from the Zhou Dynasty (400-220 BC).

I've never seen anything like it. It popped up on vcoins a little while ago at, what I thought, was a really good price.

It's really neat. :)

Erin

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2838 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2015  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've never seen anything like it...

Me neither, very interesting indeed!
Learn More...
United States
23691 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2015  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really interesting coin, one I've never seen either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6370 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2015  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a nice writeup on them: http://chinesecoins.lyq.dk/Bei/Bei.html

I just recently got one myself, but I think yours is in slightly better condition.

As for price, if you didn't pay more than $30 for it, then you did fine. I got mine for $15.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4773 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2015  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it is neat! I've seen these before...i remember the name (ant nose) more than I actually remember the item.

i think ancientnoob has some sowrie shells if I'm not mistaken?
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2015  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johndakerftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

I paid $20 for it, so I'm happy. :D

Erin
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2015  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For $20 I would be happy too. I would love an Ant Nose. I have (as chris pointed out) a cowrie imitation, but no Ant Nose, it remains on the list. Good find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2589 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2015  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will a TPG grade these? Not suggesting that it should be graded, just curious if they would...
Pillar of the Community
United States
6370 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2015  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC says they only grade struck ancients, not cast. I think ANACS may be different.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6370 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2015  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one for $25 +$3 ship. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINA-CHU-S...em1c55e22a39

Ebay seller Watoccasionally has them for $5 (for damaged) to $12 (pristine) + $5 ship.

There's a clay imitation ant nose on eBay that was used for funerary purposes. I'd like to get that one at some point.
Edited by TypeCoin971793
07/09/2015 9:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2015  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love ancient civilization, but I don't like purchasing funerary items. Just me but I feel weird about it to the point where I would mention it here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6370 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2015  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's true. That's why I'm not dabbling with the bridge money, fish money, shield money, bell money, or heck (clay) money. They are not actual coins used in commerce, but funerary items, which defeats the purpose in including them in a coin collection.

Edit: that "heck" was changed from the other word. It is what it's called, so don't get mad at me.
Edited by TypeCoin971793
07/09/2015 11:31 pm
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2015  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johndakerftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, TypeCoin. It's very interesting.

I'm not at the point of getting funerary items. But, I'm always glad to get more coins and, someday, more artifacts. I kind of have an itch for artifacts now that my first one is on its way. :D

Erin
Pillar of the Community
United States
2589 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2015  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS does certify them after all haha

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400-220-BC-...047675.l2557
Pillar of the Community
United States
6370 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2015  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another one that just popped up for $8.95 + $1.65 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GHOST-FACE-...em1c557dcdda
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcmworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The original photo is upside down. Coole, p. 20-21 in The Early Coinage of the Chou Dynasty states that the legend reads Tang Pan Liang (Dang Ban Liang in Pinyin), meaning "worth half a liang" The round hole is (according to Coole, and I'm inclined to believe him) shorthand for Dang, probably representing the kou radical in Dang.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 3,483Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: