Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited My Great Great Grandfather's Pocket Piece

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,316Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
794 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2015  10:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My grandmother gave me this today. It's the 1851 large cent that her grandfather (my great great grandfather) carried in his pocket every day. He died in the early 1940s. I knew of its existence already, but today it became mine. It's not going in my pocket, however; it will go in a flip and into the lock box. Pictured with it in the third picture are my two current pocket pieces (1883-O Morgan and 1964 Kennedy) and the 1962 penny that lives on my keychain.

Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (United Kingdom)
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2015  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice family memento
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2015  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rahtbarg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great story to go along with that coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2015  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story !! Any idea of why this was his chosen pocket piece?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2015  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it's a nice family memento

-MV
CCF Sponsor
United States
702 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scropper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think without doubt it SHOULD go in your pocket, at least on special occasions. No reason at all to store it away!

By all means, don't lose it, but celebrate it!

You might look for a slightly nicer, higher grade piece so you can imagine what it was like at a younger point in your Great Great Grandfather's life. I do things like that often... In fact, was just looking for a nice Dime to help me remember my Grandmother with, and I was going to get a nice one. Anyway, get one for your own pocket, you should be able to find a decent circulated example for $20-$30, and wouldn't it be fun to have that in your pocket? : )

Thank you for sharing!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35505 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you should put it in a holder and mark the family history behind the coin on the holder.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Typeguy38 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that's a special coin! Love the family provenance, and I'm super-jealous since my family has nothing like that to pass down to me ...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14009 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting pocket piece. and from your Great Great Grandfather no less.
I was going to say keep it yourself as a pocket piece, but then thought what if he lost it ? put it in a plastic snap-lock and go ahead and lock it up. just take it out
to show relatives when they visit. that is only my opinion.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2116 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd suggest getting a little leather change purse. The coin gets to wear against other coins which will burnish it back to how it looked in the past. And it won't fall out of your pocket. Coins destroy pocket linings and escape.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Learn More...
United States
90010 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a great piece of family history right there. Cherish it, as I know you will.
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an impossibly cool thing. A direct, physical, personal connection to more than a century of family history. I'd be scared to death to carry it, but I'd keep it close at hand at home to take out and look at every once in a while.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,316Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05