Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finding 2009 Roosevelt Dimes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,592Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2015  10:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I suppose this is directed towards the Dime CRH enthusiasts to the greater extent, but how often do you come across 2009 Roosevelt dimes? How about finding one in change?
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35959 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2015  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
09 is a scarce year for all denoms.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2015  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys - I hadn't realized that 2009 denominations would be so difficult to find in circulation until returning to the hobby a couple years ago. I've come across 2009 nickels and cents during CRH events, but relative to the numbers searched, the finds are few and maybe only 4 or so 2009 nickels are quality finds. Cents are a little more frequent and I've been able to find higher grades to put in the albums. From what I read here, my finds are typical.

Regarding dimes, I finally came across one in circulation and it bears the evidence of a journey. I wondered about finding a quality specimen hence the thought and question here; how often do folks come across them in their change or CRH? I suppose I'd order a box to find some better specimens across a few dates, but should I expect to find a 2009 in a box of dimes? I'm not a dime searcher (yet anyway) but before more miles attack the relative few 2009s in circulation, I might have to start thinking about a box of dimes sooner than later.

Thanks for any/all input!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3519 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2015  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in 2009 I started getting these in change and stashes a few away, but I don't really see them anymore. I never really saw any 2009 nickels in circulation, even in 2009, and even the 2009 cents were pretty rare. I don't CRH, though - these are just circulation observations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2015  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks KenKat. The lesson learned (and there for the new collectors) is to remain current in the hobby news. Had I known of the 'relative' lower mintages for the denominations, I would have set a few nice specimens of each aside.

In business, they talk about foresight. I suppose that's true of just about anything. I'm glad you (and others) had it then. I appreciate your comments!
Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2015  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found my first 2009 nickle in this last box I and working on. Bee a while since I had seen one. Get so few dimes in change, I rarely see any. Did get both P & D and an extra P out of the 2 boxes of dimes I have done and CWRs. I am flooding in 2009 quarters, plenty of 2009 halves, but 2009 pennies seem missing or just in terrible shape. I am sure the easiest to find will be quarters and dollars, but I have yet to make a roll of either.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5976 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2015  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I set aside about a dozen nice 2009s when I first started to hit circulation. I don't personally see the value in circulated '09 dimes, so I do not actively hunt my change unless I notice silver or a very BU dime. Since mid 2010 I think I have found 2 2009 dimes.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2015  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atlas642 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get a 2009 dime maybe once a year. I've got a couple stored away from CRH in 2011 or so, but they've really dried up.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4049 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2015  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Out of over $100,000 in dimes searched, I've found not one 2009.
Then again, I'm not much of a date searcher.

No 2009 nickels, but my 11 y.o. daughter has almost an entire roll of 2009 cents she's found.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2015  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I guess I'm lucky to snag one in my change and it'll have to do until I get around to searching some dime rolls. It is amazing how few there seem to be circulating about.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2159 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2015  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been lucky enough to find in my change, 3 09 P dimes and four 09 P nickels.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,592Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05