Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

UK 1915 Florin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,283Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
699 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2015  1:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I picked up a nice florin today but didn't have any " inspection " tools with me apart from my rather worn out eyes, what I thought could be an XF is probably a VF now I have made it home and can give it closer inspection.
Both sides lustrous with a few minor contact marks and a weak strike on the reverse ( 3 lions running down from 12 o'clock )
A nice coin in VF condition is where I put it on the UK grading scale, I know we brits are a bit harsher on grading than others ( for OUR coins anyway ) just wondering if you agree or disagree with that grade ?

All opinions welcome, good or bad. Thx.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1310 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  07:34 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks at least XF if not AU. I cant find any wear in your images. Don't know much about the Brit scale although I read an article once. Nice coin.
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2553 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks nice to my eye, nice pick up.

As for grade I think from the photo's it is EF, defined as "Almost perfect, close examination revealing slight traces of wear to its highest parts"

With it in hand you would be the better judge, and you are probably right to be cautious since most people grade their own coins generously.
Valued Member
Belgium
464 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dohcollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
first time for me taking a stab.....AU details
Edited by dohcollector
09/28/2015 08:48 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18724 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very weak strike on the lions' faces as usual, that is not wear. From these pictures I cannot see any wear on the orbs of the four crowns. Beard slightly indistict, perhaps the tiniest amount of wear on the end of the moustache. Good lustre both sides.Very light few marks in both fields. No real rim problems.

Calling this coin VF is certainly too harsh, even by the tough British grading standards.
From these pictures: good EF.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1797 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2015  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd agree it's at least EF, probably a bit better.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,283Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05