Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Irritations Of Dollars In Mint Sets!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2015  8:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I busted open a 2011 mint set for the Sac dollars. Then the irritation occurred. I placed them into 2x2 holders. Then I went to write the date and m/m on it and you know what? I didn't know which one was Philly or Denver. To make the long story short, I had to cut one of the 2x2 holders open to examine the coin so I knew how to label it! Another reason edge lettering is a bad idea!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30498 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2015  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should put them in the large size 2x2's so you can see the edge.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2015  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think most of us collectors will agree that the "Edge-Incused Lettering Process" (or what ever the ding-dang mint calls the stuff stamped on the edge) is a crock of baloney.
Edited by batboy
10/26/2015 12:59 pm
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2015  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edge lettering itself is not bad, but only for redundant and identical information that appears on every issue. Putting the date and mint mark and the edge was just plain dumb.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2015  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm shocked we don't get more newbs with first posts about small dollars missing the date thinking they have a rare error
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2015  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had thought the same thing Cascade!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2015  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be because we don't have many old threads about it that easily come up top when googling the subject. Just a guess but that's how alot of prople find this crazy place

Although jbuck might prove me wrong with a litany of past threads
Edited by Cascade
10/26/2015 10:15 pm
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2015  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, first we need to actually circulate the darn things before anyone can find them and question the apparent absence of the date.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2015  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There really wasn't any reason to change the Sac dollars to edge lettering. I think they did it because that's how they were doing the prez dollars.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5749 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2015  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What baffles me the most is the fact that the Mint struggles so much with the edge lettering, and acts like it's a pretty big deal.

I have a 1787 Conder token in P-01 and the edge lettering is more legible than on a MS golden dollar.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2015  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There really wasn't any reason to change the Sac dollars to edge lettering. I think they did it because that's how they were doing the prez dollars.
Exactly!

It was an extremely boneheaded decision which was made to justify a somewhat boneheaded decision (for the Presidential dollars).

Yes, I will concede that the Presidential series designs benefited from the real estate gained by moving the mottos to the edge. However, including date and mint mark with that move was the wrong call. At the very least, the mint mark needs to be on one of the faces, since date can still be determined by Presidential obverse and Native American reverse.

Do not even get me started on their moving IGWT back to the face for all the wrong reasons while leaving the (date and) mint mark on the edge.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05