Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

40% For 90% Halves?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  12:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know if lcs's or other places would trade silver for silver value 40% halves for 90% halves? Is that done anywhere? I have quite a few from CRH but no one seems to want them at all in regards to trades or what not. So I guess what do other CRHers do with all their extra 40% halves? Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah sorry mods this would be better in the CRH section if you would be so kind :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 0xDA71D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah I don't think this is feasible. Most 40% halves are marked down from spot due to their impurity--practically speaking, they would be more difficult to refine. On the other hand, 90% halves are bought and sold above or on spot.

I would imagine a 10-20% discount when you do such a trade.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12674 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would just keep saving them until ( hopefully someday ) the price of silver will sky rocket through the roof, then the 40% halves will have some value.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah that is probably what I will do but was just curious since no one wanted them it seemed. Like I figured even a trade of 3-1 40% for 90% would be nice to do but I guess not feasible especially since silver is slowly trending downward
Learn More...
United States
82381 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ah sorry mods this would be better in the CRH section if you would be so kind :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think my local guy said he buys them for $1 or 1.50 each (I think $1 but can't remember) for 40% and that he needs to flip them in bulk so it takes a while to build up a stash big enough for him to flip and he sits on them for a long time bc people don't come in looking to buy 40%
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah my LCS guy said something like that as well. I wonder if he sells them at spot or less hmm... may have to check that out. Oh well I will probably just have to hold onto them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carloscoria to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually sell them for spot or more then turn around and buy bullion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2015  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steele to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you could always try to sell or trade them here. I do sometimes see them on ebay and they seem to go for a decent price if I remember correctly, watch a couple auctions and see what they go for first though.
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2015  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perotti31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally keep mine, if there ever comes a time that they are actually needed it's just one more denomination of silver I have. And if not they are 40+ year old coins with silver in them that I can pass to my kids and maybe one day grandkids! Believe me I have thought about selling to trade up, just like copper pennies, but I can't seem to part with any of them even if it is to buy 90% silver, .999 ASE or gold coins.
Pillar of the Community
1153 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2015  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CSOTUS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will buy some at melt if you are selling. PM if so
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2015  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tempting CSOTUS, but as the 10 I have from CRH would only be about $21 right now, I think I will wait especially since I got them for face. I will wait and down the road maybe they will be worth more again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3848 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2015  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 40% we threw back during the Hunt tycoon's run up to $50 silver.
They wanted close to pure silver as possible.
The last run up was different, I had no problem selling the 40% I had, but even then I couldn't get spot, always 10-20% less, and I did shop around.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2015  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgand33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to go to one of my local we by gold and silver shops and trade 40% for 90%. I have become friends with one of the owners and buy their silver coins off them for a little over spot. its not something he has to do. But I feel he has done for me just due tot he rapport I have built with them over time.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05