Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

40% For 90% Halves?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 2,054Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1895 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  12:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know if lcs's or other places would trade silver for silver value 40% halves for 90% halves? Is that done anywhere? I have quite a few from CRH but no one seems to want them at all in regards to trades or what not. So I guess what do other CRHers do with all their extra 40% halves? Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1895 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah sorry mods this would be better in the CRH section if you would be so kind :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1212 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 0xDA71D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah I don't think this is feasible. Most 40% halves are marked down from spot due to their impurity--practically speaking, they would be more difficult to refine. On the other hand, 90% halves are bought and sold above or on spot.

I would imagine a 10-20% discount when you do such a trade.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14009 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would just keep saving them until ( hopefully someday ) the price of silver will sky rocket through the roof, then the 40% halves will have some value.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1895 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah that is probably what I will do but was just curious since no one wanted them it seemed. Like I figured even a trade of 3-1 40% for 90% would be nice to do but I guess not feasible especially since silver is slowly trending downward
Learn More...
United States
90010 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ah sorry mods this would be better in the CRH section if you would be so kind :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think my local guy said he buys them for $1 or 1.50 each (I think $1 but can't remember) for 40% and that he needs to flip them in bulk so it takes a while to build up a stash big enough for him to flip and he sits on them for a long time bc people don't come in looking to buy 40%
Pillar of the Community
United States
1895 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah my LCS guy said something like that as well. I wonder if he sells them at spot or less hmm... may have to check that out. Oh well I will probably just have to hold onto them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2015  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carloscoria to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually sell them for spot or more then turn around and buy bullion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2015  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steele to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you could always try to sell or trade them here. I do sometimes see them on ebay and they seem to go for a decent price if I remember correctly, watch a couple auctions and see what they go for first though.
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2015  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perotti31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally keep mine, if there ever comes a time that they are actually needed it's just one more denomination of silver I have. And if not they are 40+ year old coins with silver in them that I can pass to my kids and maybe one day grandkids! Believe me I have thought about selling to trade up, just like copper pennies, but I can't seem to part with any of them even if it is to buy 90% silver, .999 ASE or gold coins.
Pillar of the Community
1153 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2015  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CSOTUS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will buy some at melt if you are selling. PM if so
Pillar of the Community
United States
1895 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2015  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tempting CSOTUS, but as the 10 I have from CRH would only be about $21 right now, I think I will wait especially since I got them for face. I will wait and down the road maybe they will be worth more again.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4037 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2015  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 40% we threw back during the Hunt tycoon's run up to $50 silver.
They wanted close to pure silver as possible.
The last run up was different, I had no problem selling the 40% I had, but even then I couldn't get spot, always 10-20% less, and I did shop around.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2015  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgand33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to go to one of my local we by gold and silver shops and trade 40% for 90%. I have become friends with one of the owners and buy their silver coins off them for a little over spot. its not something he has to do. But I feel he has done for me just due tot he rapport I have built with them over time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 2,054Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05