Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do The Yns Fund Their Hobby?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4695 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  8:41 pm Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
after noticing there are a few more YNs in my age group than I originally thought I figured I would inquire on how us younger collectors fund our hobby.

i personally work with a coin store in a flea market that pays me $100 for working the weekend from 10:00-5:00 Saturday and Sunday. it is a little below minimum wage but I like it, it is easy work, it provides free food and drink and it gives me a place to sell off some of my stuff(with owners permission). I have worked on and off with this guy for a while and for several+ months I have been working there every weekend. it is a good job and is pretty easy, and I doubt many 15 year olds would complain about $5200 a year for doing what they enjoy.

so my fellow YNs, how do you fund your addiction collecting?
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uhh... Selling on eBay, really. Only $500 a year at my current rate
Mostly allowance, birthdays, and whatnot...

Going to take up a job during the summer, though, and hopefully I'll get some actual $$$
Pillar of the Community
United States
2791 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't imagine the torture of being a YN. I got into coin collecting when having disposable income wasn't a problem. Kudos to you young guys/gals for your perseverance.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4203 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Darth Morgan. When I started, without much money, I would get involved with coin clubs (local, regional, and national) and at least learn and meet people while picking up a few things along the way.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16453 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps I am a bit of an exception.
I was working for my father from 12 years old, and had quite a lot of money to spend on coins in my teenage years.

I had my first gold coin (an 1891 Sydney Mint Half Sovereign) at the age of 16.
I had a complete Australian Gold type set of 17 coins (1856 to 1931), which included an Adelaide Pound in VF, by age 21.

All of the money to buy them was earned by the sweat of my brow, working as a factory hand for my father.
He never asked for board money to live at home in those years, because I was still going to high school or college.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am with COTW. Although my wife and I have a $20/month allowance I am able to make bigger purchases by selling on eBay. Now seems to be a weekly steady stream of junk silver from my lcs (I get at actual weight x spot price) and can get $5-20 per lot depending on what I get there. For example, today I picked up a really worn morgan, holed peace, 1964 kennedy, a Barber quarter and some junk dimes for $32.50. From that I expect to earn at least $10 after the eBay fees and that just adds up for my coin savings :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johntookit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
i personally work with a coin store in a flea market that pays me $100 for working the weekend from 10:00-5:00 Saturday and Sunday. it is a little below minimum wage but I like it, it is easy work, it provides free food and drink and it gives me a place to sell off some of my stuff(with owners permission). I have worked on and off with this guy for a while and for several+ months I have been working there every weekend. it is a good job and is pretty easy, and I doubt many 15 year olds would complain about $5200 a year for doing what they enjoy.

This takes me back 35 years when I was a kid and how I funded my expensive hobbies.
Pillar of the Community
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
when I was a yn I would cut grass, rake leafs, shovel snow.
now I have a very good job at least until next year(i may retire)30 years is a long time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4695 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cool. interesting note about that guy who employs me-he was the first coin dealer I ever met and I knew him from the start of my collecting.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Birthday money mostly
Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy some coins, and then I sell the ones I don't want for enough of a profit to pay for the coins I do want. Net zero cost. It takes a lot more time, planning, and risk, though.

I need to get a job. I'll probably be co-oping within the next couple of semesters, so that will help. There is a coin shop near campus, so I could ask them. 99% chance they will say no.
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2015  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way back in the day, before having a real job, it was funded by mowing lawns and later a paper route.
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2015  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_kid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Birthday and Xmas money. Can't mow lawns here since all my neighbors have a pro lawn service. Probably going to start eBay soon tho.
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2015  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_kid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thedollarman, how old were you when you started? I'm pretty sure where I live you have to be 15.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4695 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2015  10:39 am  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i met the guy when I started to collect at around age 8. he used to let me watch his booth during his smoke break when I was around age 11 for free coins(there were always his friends and my parents around at that time anyway) and it evolved in to an actual job when I was late 13 or early 14 for free coins and $20 and soon I was getting raises and opening up for him and stuff until it reached where I am now. there was another kid there working with me there as well who was a little older but my boss got rid of him because I was much more competent and understanding of numismatics and less lazy.

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2015  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RtwoDtoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not quite as young as some, but I started detasseling when I was 12 and did it for ten years straight every summer. Worked at a gas station through college for extra funds, then in a distillery after graduation. Now that I'm in graduate school, money is tight, so strict budgeting and limiting myself to a purchase every now and then.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05