Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 Coins In Circulation.

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar of the Community
598 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2016  02:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Now that it has hit 12:00 am meaning it is officially midnight I would like to start the thread where we report finding 2016 dated coins in circulation. as it is jan 1 2016 it is possible though unlikely that any will be gotten today.
Learn More...
United States
73211 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2016  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose that someone had to start the topic eventually.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5619 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2016  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Mint does not release coins of the current year until February, if I remember correctly.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2016  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well... the mint doesn't release anything directly. The mint mints and issues coins to the FRBs.

The FRBs provide coins to "depository institutions"

http://www.federalreserve.gov/payme...in_about.htm

Quote:
As the nation's central bank, the Federal Reserve issues and processes Federal Reserve notes. The Federal Reserve also distributes coin through depository institutions. The thirty Federal Reserve Bank cash offices provide cash services to approximately 9,200 banks, savings and loans, and credit unions in the United States. The remaining depository institutions obtain currency and coin from correspondent banks rather than directly from the Federal Reserve.

and

Quote:
Coin
The Federal Reserve's role in coin operations is more limited than its role in currency operations. As the issuing authority for coins, the United States Mint determines annual coin production. The Reserve Banks, however, influence the process by providing the Mint with monthly coin orders and a 12-month rolling coin-order forecast. The Mint transports the coin from its production facilities for circulating coin in Philadelphia and Denver to all of the Reserve Banks and the Reserve Banks' coin terminal locations.

The Reserve Banks distribute new and circulated coin to depository institutions to meet the public's demand. While the Reserve Banks store some coin in their vaults, they also contract with coin terminals to store, process, and distribute coin on behalf of the Federal Reserve. Armored carrier companies generally operate the coin terminals; the coin terminals have improved the efficiency of the coin-distribution system.

So basically before you see it, it has to make it from the mint (in ballistic bags) to the coin terminals (oh, Loomis or somebody else), be wrapped and distributed to a bank or the local supermarket.

Usually takes a few weeks or more...
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2016  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billymac11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hold your collective breaths.... ;-)
Valued Member
Panama
137 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2016  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mangemesjambes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like someone is already selling these 2016 coins...

Pillar of the Community
Canada
525 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2016  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add timnic44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are proof coins. Would they not be from sets and not intended for circulation?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9786 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2016  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are pre-release auctions and will ship after they are released by the mint in Jan. I bet they're planning on cracking open the Congratulations and Birthday sets.

10 people have already committed to $10 for the 2016-S cent. Quite the premium, considering you can buy the 5-coin set directly from the U.S. Mint for $20.

The quarters auction is actually fairly tempting... decent price for 6 quarters including shipping.
Pillar of the Community
United States
622 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2016  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mayflower2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to say I saw a lot of presales for proofs. Somebody who is planning to buy whole rolls and then resells them coin by coin once they arrive.
Valued Member
Panama
137 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2016  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mangemesjambes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that would be an evil way to take advantage of people...
But I will probably not see any 2016 coins until June-August because I live in Panama and they only ship here coins with Panamanian design, we would need an American to come here and spend them, I didn't got to see a 2015 coin till december so I guess I would have to wait.
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2016  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LocalCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up two sets of quarters, one for myself and a second for grandkid!
Pillar of the Community
United States
552 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2016  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atlas642 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numismatic News is reporting a gentleman receiving four 2016 Lincoln cents for change in Reading, Pennsylvania:

http://www.numismaticnews.net/buzz/...better-times

My family and I are keeping an eye out for 2016 coins. Have to keep those circulation folders current, after all!
Valued Member
Panama
137 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2016  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mangemesjambes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YESS they are out!
Valued Member
Canada
99 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2016  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rusty_f to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2016  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't seen any yet.

They're still loading their supply of 2015-D cents and dimes in my area. With quarters and nickels there's no telling what you could get in change.

If I recall correctly, I heard that back in the year 2000, the Mint was so good with its coin distribution that the first coins started turning up as soon as the millennium celebrations ended.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3306 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2016  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
'ello my lovelies!

Edited by KenKat
01/23/2016 9:35 pm
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05