Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Water Damaged Proof Set What Should I Do

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 3,793Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4244 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2016  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put them in a tip jar or a fountain with the mintmark clearly showing and see what happens.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2926 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2016  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I like this idea
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2016  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please remember our Buy / Sell / Trade Rules.

Sorry

Just noticed that the OP didn't have his email set up on this forum
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2016  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hnry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a little blurb on acetone vs copper......

http://www.stonybrook.edu/vescalab/...search7.html
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16491 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2016  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a little blurb on acetone vs copper......

Too bad it's filled with hot air. I wish people would stop posting this link, it appears to have been done by undergraduate students.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4914 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2016  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Smack the set with a hammer and use the JFK as a pocket piece. That's what I'd do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8091 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2016  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cent and the nickel in the set you posted do not look like they have any damage on them. In fact, the nickel looks like it has some nice toning. I would keep those and spend the rest.
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
United States
343 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2016  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpaceMaNy0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do a forum contest. Wink.
With all these Barbers around, you'd think I'd have shorter hair.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5057 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2016  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try acetone.

For the coins that won't clean up put them in your pocket. If you accidentally spend them then that is a plus that they were released back into circulation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2016  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are good candidates for you to try any of the acetone/EZ-est stuffs....cheap experiments.
They also make good gift for young kids/collectors, good for tip jar too.
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1247 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2016  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pass all my raw coins through acetone... All of them, before I put them in 2x2's.
It will not harm the coin one iota, and will remove oils left on them by previous people.

Sometimes, you gotta use acetone with a soft q-tip. It will not harm the finish and does a good job of removing stuck on dirt.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4044 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2016  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2016  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justinwd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd drill a little hole in a few of them and put them on my keychain.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4244 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2016  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be neat to have a junk coin on your keychain, but I would never drill a hole in one.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 3,793Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05