Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Grade My Ike

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2016  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know you guys have come up with a decent idea of date and mint mark, but I have found that when I am having issues figuring out dates and mints, it is easier to do a rubbing of the coin. It brings out a lot of details that are harder to see with the naked eye.

WOW IDEA

Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2016  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know you guys have come up with a decent idea of date and mint mark, but I have found that when I am having issues figuring out dates and mints, it is easier to do a rubbing of the coin. It brings out a lot of details that are harder to see with the naked eye.

Tried it

My unsteady hands w/ too thickness of paper had no results

Thanks anyway
Pillar of the Community
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2016  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fayette1800 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My vote is 1972 D.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2016  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Josepf7420

Quote:
Although it is very worn, I do not think it would make PO-1: too much details altogether (especially on the reverse).

FR-2. Very nice coin

I am concerned about the details on the reverse as you are too.

With the coin in hand I believe a TPGer will-can-might-should be able to get the mint, year on the obverse.

But again, there is a heap of details on the reverse.

Question for all:

If it was send to a TPGer, and the obverse was a clear PO-01 BUT the reverse was a clear FR-02 ~`~`~` I guess the best I could hope for was a FR-02

Am I correct?
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2016  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjweber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally a TPG weighs the obverse more than the reverse. I would take that into account. but really what is the difference? why are you wanting this one graded? is it something special to you?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4244 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2016  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of us like 'lowballs'- myself included. Basically, coins which are problem-free and in PO-01 (usually certified).

Quote:
Although it is very worn, I do not think it would make PO-1: too much details altogether (especially on the reverse).

Perhaps you could cover the obverse somehow and carry it around as a pocket piece for a month or so?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2016  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps you could cover the obverse somehow and carry it around as a pocket piece for a month or so?

Great idea
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2016  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this will add a little light to the DATE.

Hoping you guys- gals will respond

Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2016  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more view for the DATE

Pillar of the Community
United States
4244 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2016  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still thinking 72-D.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2016  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjweber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still would like to see a good rubbing... Just plain notebook paper and a regular pencil should do the trick...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2016  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On eBay, I found this product

3-LED Light 45X Handheld Magnifier Reading Magnifying Glass Jewelry Loupe FE

Very low cost.

The fact it is a 45 power MAG, ~`~` is that too much power?

Or would I be better off getting a 10 power ~`~` or a 20 power?

My current glass is 90% shot.

Thanks to all
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2016  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I still would like to see a good rubbing... Just plain notebook paper and a regular pencil should do the trick.

I tried again, but the paper I have in the house is too thick

At one time did we have something called "onion skin" paper?

I used to get mail from persons in Peru and the paper was sooooo thin.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05