Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2013 Series Of $100 Banknotes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2016  09:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PacoMartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It looks like the new series of $100 banknotes has gone off the rails again. Production went on for 5 months, produced 140.8 million notes, and then was shut down. They went back to producing the 2009A series again.
Nov 14 9.6 million
Dec 14 28.8
Jan 15 25.6
Feb 15 67.2
Mar 15 9.6

Does anyone know what happened?

It looks like a repeat of the debacle from Feb 10 - Sep 11 when they produced 1.44 billion color $100 notes, then they had to stop production and go back to the 2006A non color design.

I was not aware of any substantial changes between 2009A (Rios-Geithner) series and 2013 (Rios-Lew) series. Just year and signatures. So what could go wrong with production?

Secretary of Treasury: Jack Lew since February 27, 2013
Treasurer of the United States: Rosa "Rosie" Gumataotao Rios
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2016  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PacoMartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://uscurrency.gov/sites/defaul...Features.pdf

You will note that the serial number on this image begins with J (series 2009). Series 2009A begins with L, and series 2013 begins with M.

They must have made a change to the 2013 series and botched up the production requiring them to return to the 2009A. I'm surprised they got away without a press release.

Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2016  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They must have made a change to the 2013 series and botched up the production requiring them to return to the 2009A.

Could you supply a link or some more information about this. I cannot find anything on the internet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2211 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2016  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like they printed some 2013 $100's over a year ago. All, regular and star notes, are printed for the New York district. The BEP printed them for 6 months, but I have yet to see any in circulation or for sale.

http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/f2013_h.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2016  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sent an email to the general question/comments email on the BEP site. If I get a reply, I'll post the answer to this thread.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2016  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sent an email to the general question/comments email on the BEP site. If I get a reply, I'll post the answer to this thread.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2016  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't do a very good job in phrasing my questions. If someone else wants to give it a whirl, the email address is moneyfactory.info[@]bep.gov (remove the brackets around the @ and it should work)

Quote:
The series year on the redesigned $100 note indicates the year in which the new design was approved by the Secretary of the Treasury. Subsequent changes to this original year designation are then made only if there is another significant change to the note's appearance, such as changing the signature of the Secretary of the Treasury or Treasurer of the United States, or as a result of a significant gap in production times for the note.

The letter 'A' suffix after the 2009 designation indicates the gap in production time between when the design was first approved by the Secretary of the Treasury and the restarting of production in 2011, after the resolution of the sporadic creasing problem.
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Edited by MeadowviewCollector
04/01/2016 4:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PacoMartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Background
Timothy F. Geithner began serving as Secretary on January 26, 2009.
Jack Lew began as Secretary of Treasury on February 28, 2013.
Steven Mnuchin began serving as Secretary on February 13, 2017.

Rosa Gumataotao Rios began serving as Treasurer on August 6, 2009.She resigned as of July 8, 2016.
Jovita Carranza became Treasurer on April 28, 2017.

As a footnote, a woman was appointed Treasurer on June 21, 1949 as a high profile position. All subsequent appointees have been women, with the last four being Latinas.

BTW, I am not surprised you didn't get an answer to your e-mail, as the BEP is notoriously closed lip about problems.

To reiterate the initial question, after producing 140.8 million of the 2013 series of C-notes, with signatures: Rios-Lew production came to a stop and they returned to the 2009A series with signatures: Rios-Geithner.

In February of 2017 the BEP resumed the 2013 series again after 23 month stand-down, with the Rios-Lew signatures, despite the fact that they had both been replaced.

As of May an additional 310.4 million 2013 notes have been produced to supplement the initial 140.8 million.

As the 2009A series was in production for 5.5 years a whopping 7267.2 million notes was produced, surpassing by a large margin any previous series of $100 notes. The 2009 series that had quality control units numbered 1440 million notes

It seems strange to me, as by now why not simply wait until the 2017 series is ready with signatures Carranza-Mnuchin?

Edited by PacoMartin
06/30/2017 01:38 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05