Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sogdiana

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2414 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2016  03:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
You know how it is when a coin speaks to you, usually saying "BUY ME! BUY ME!" well that happened earlier with this little silver obol from Sogdiana (I'd never heard of it either...)

I liked the stylish design, particularly of the archer and also the price (it was not an expensive coin... to fill my car with petrol costs more) so it doesn't particularly matter that I know nothing about it other than the description. The description says "Legible inscription" I can't see an inscription let alone read one...
Learn More...
United States
22523 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2016  06:36 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin. I want a coin from Samarqand. That city brings to mind the Travels of Marco Polo along the Silk Road
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12706 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2016  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks DavidUK for posting this coin. The archer on the rev reminds me of those wooden manikins that you can buy in art supply stores.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2723 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2016  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The archer reminds me of (its roughly contemporary) Victory designs on Roman coins, personally.

And the "I can't even see the inscription" part reminds me of when I got a Dutch East Indies cent (one of these 1940s US mint issues that probably never circulated) - one of the legends on that type is in Javanese, and I've had more than one person, including at least one other coin collector, tell me that this particular legend is an ornament
Edited by january1may
03/12/2016 08:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4372 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2016  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent acquisition, David.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1164 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2016  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice coin , I did not know there existed other scyphate coins than Byzantine .Never to old to learn .albert
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2016  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this is among the earliest Scyphate coins, predating the Byzantine trachy by nearly a thousand years.

The Himyarite Tribal Confedracy
(Homeric Kingdom) Southern Arabia (Modern Yeman, Oman)
s. 50-100 AD
Anonymous Issue (Scyphate "cup-shaped")
Raidan, Arabia
AR Half-Drachm 14.8 mm x 1.32g
Obv. Male Head right monogram behind.
Rev. Small Male Head right. Himyar Script. Trident monogram
ref. Mitcher 373
Note: Uber Scyphate.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2414 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, but what a nose!
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1164 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice coin , even with this nose . Two questions : Homeric kingdom : what does it mean ? and the trident : I see it on the obverse , on the reverse is the monogram . albert
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ha your right see thats what happens when you ctr-C, ctr-V from old notes. It should be Trident monogram behind head crescent left field. Reverse is Sabean Script Son over palm tree.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05