Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Is This 1910 Half Eagle Real.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2016  2:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Justinwd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone, I just got this 1910 half eagle. Got it from a local coin shop, he's a very nice guy and the only fair priced coin dealer around. It's my first gold coin, I know it's been cleaned but I got it for a good deal. I just know they are heavily counterfeited and I don't have any experience with them so I figured I would ask here just to be certain it's legit. Thanks everyone.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2016  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight is within tolerance. Looks xf details cleaned and polished bad. Not much more than melt maybe a bit more.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2016  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjweber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
original weight is supposed to be 8.24 grams so yours is a tad heavy is the edge reeded?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46101 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2016  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree not much more than melt in this condition. Hope you got a good low price.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2016  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justinwd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah the edge is reeded and yeah I just paid melt for it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16647 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2016  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just love these BLPratters!
Even by modern standards, an innovative design.
Would have been even better, coin as a full Eagle.

Sure, every date of U.S. gold coin has at some stage or other, has been faked or counterfeited.
Nevertheless, from the pictures (only) as presented here, this one looks to be quite OK.

I agree that is may be not much over melt, but whatheheck, if you are really worried, get it authenticated by a TPGrader. Gold is soft; you have the coin protected as well!
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2016  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EarlyTurban to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks legit to me. If you got it close to melt, you did very well... particularly if YOU like it.

ET
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2016  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justinwd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is also a 1845 no mint mark liberty head half eagle, I can get it for melt so I'm planning on going in the morning too see if I put half down if he will hold it took next week when I get paid.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2016  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
original weight is supposed to be 8.24 grams

Most references show the weight of Liberty and Indian gold half eagles to be 8.359 grams. I think the CCF coin facts is incorrect in stating the weight for Liberty and Indian coins is 8.24 grams. Certainly, most of my raw, lightly-circulated half eagles weighed from 8.32-8.35 grams when I checked.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2016  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justinwd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah my RedBook says 8.35 grams. I'm happy with it, it's a beautiful design and like I said above my first gold coin. After I buy the other half eagle I'm gonna look for a nice uncirculated quarter eagle Indian head.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4206 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2016  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First gold coin
Super congrats!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05