Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1978 Penny Error? Is This Some Type Of Strike Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  1:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BoojiBoyTravis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok, so I was looking in a change bag, which mainly had 1943 Steel Wheat Pennies. I found a couple of 95% copper pennies, a 1978 and a 1980.

The 1978 is a very shiny one, much like what a 2015 penny would be! However, a look at this coin raised my eyebrows.

On the left side of the obverse, there is some kind of gap, somewhat like the intended target was on the right hand of that gap. The reverse does not have this.

Is this some type of error, and if it is, what kind of error? If it is not an error, what do you think happened? Nevertheless a nice coin from 1978 that is pretty shiny!
Edited by BoojiBoyTravis
04/12/2016 1:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29078 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. It is a very,very minor MAD...misaligned die. No added value.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Dave42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dave42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a very slightly misaligned die error (MAD). It is too slight to have any premium. Basically the die needs to be misaligned far enough for design elements to be cut off for it to have any value.

John1 just beat me to it!
Edited by Dave42
04/12/2016 1:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BoojiBoyTravis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that is cool! Thanks for your answer! How much value do you think it would be? I just want to know if it's at least more than face value
Edited by BoojiBoyTravis
04/12/2016 1:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, very minor MAD. No added value whatsoever. You find these a lot.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1725 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 cent
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2016  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 450driver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New to posting on forums and even newer to coin collecting, but I ran across this and could not find any info on the web. Any thoughts on the missing 'In god we trust'? -thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39099 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2016  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a struck through grease error. The die had a fill of grease on those devices. They get more interesting when 90% or more of the devices are blocked.

They get more attention with the more they show the grease blockage in a higher percentage.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2122 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2016  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
459driver, with the struck through grease appearance for the obverse pic. Was curious if the reverse is normal or if it has any weakness? Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
Pillar of the Community
United States
901 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2016  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add albertharris to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Missing lettering is kinda "neat." Keep fingers off your coin, fingerprints

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2019  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willdo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So this coin isn't worth anything with no MM
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29078 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2019  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF Willdo.

Quote:
So this coin isn't worth anything with no MM

Why would it be?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39099 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2019  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Albert: I would like to see the reverse also on your coin if you read this later on. (The thread is 3 years old) But it maybe a tapered planchet issue on your coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05