Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hr 5168 - Require The Secretary Of The Treasury To Mint Coins In Recognition Of Christa Mcauliffe

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 69 / Views: 6,774Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1557 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2020  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yawn. Yet another commemorative that I won't be buying.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4192 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like the coin is focused on the intersection between teaching and being an astronaut, and has a higher focus on her being a teacher, which I like. I also like the inclusion of the FIRST robotics logo on the reverse, I didn't realize she was apart of that!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also like the inclusion of the FIRST robotics logo on the reverse, I didn't realize she was apart of that!

She wasn't - at least, I can't find a solid connection beyond inspiration for youth in technology. Since FIRST is the recipient of the surcharges for this coin, it makes sense to feature someone who can provide such inspiration (if "someone" has to be featured at all), which is why I think she is the subject here rather than the others who died in the same accident. As a teacher, she had the "youth" connection.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Edited by Alpha2814
06/20/2020 12:51 pm
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2020  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Design candidates have been posted:
CM-R-04 appeals to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1233 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the obverse, I like 04, 04A, 06, and 07. The NASA-inspired lettering on 07 is a nice touch. For the reverse, I'm partial to 04 or 11. If done right, I think the blackboard design on 11 could be fantastic in proof.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2020  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheInfinityPoint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I like CM-R-04 too. Also why did they even accept design CM-R-03...beyond the teacher connection?
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20820 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2020  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also added these to the original post.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3447 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2020  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You would think by now the mint would recognize that textured hair looks good in pen sketches and terrible in coin finish.

Couldn't they find a picture of her in her spacesuit with the Snoopy Cap?
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just watched the four-part docuseries Challenger: The Final Flight on Netflix. It is worth the time, in my opinion. While I still wish this were a Challenger commemorative, I am now more comfortable with Christa being the focus. Your mileage may vary.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 69 / Views: 6,774Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05