Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 Penny Variety ID Help?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2016  04:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sabotai to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a few 1859 pennies that I could use your thoughts on. I thought coin C might have a double punched 5. I might see low 9s on coins A and B. What do you think? I'm still very new to all this, so your help is much appreciated! Grading thoughts are also welcome

Coin A

Coin B

Coin C

Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2016  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's the deal with all these 1859 pennies? I mean, I know the mintage was Yuuuuge, but it seems every Canada lg cent posted is from 1859 (that's why I have one). But seriously, what was the next date struck?

Sorry I can't answer your question & for going off topic on this but I am really curious!
- About two score and seven+ years ago, I began a Lincoln cent collection. I have all, most in AU or better & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, the Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, and after that it just seemed like a good way to show the evolution of US coinage. Most non-nums to whom I've shown these react with the phrase, "I had no idea!" That alone shows their worth.
- I've completed MS sets of Jeffersons & MS specimens of other 5 nickels; Franklins done. Roosies mostly done. I enjoy hunting for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.
-- If I left my early Washington quarter book at one of y'alls house, please ring me up.
ANA Lifer #: 6565
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2016  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add northcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next date was 1876. The big deal with the 1859 large cents are the large number of varieties - well over 200 different dies used - some are quite rare. Just check out the "1859 Haxby" site for more information.

The pictures are too difficult to determine the specific variety. Taking them out of the holders would help. That way the glare would not be a problem.

They all seem to be decent grades!
Pillar of the Community
United States
761 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2016  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sabotai, Coin C is Haxby die pair 771 ( obverse 77 + reverse P15 ) Notice the die cracks on the obverse at the back of the R of REGINA, and reverse die cracks at leaves 6, 8, 11 and others. You can see details of that die pair on Dr. Haxby's website http://www.vickycents.com

Coins A and B are both from reverse group P ( stems are missing from leaves 8 and 10 ).
From the pictures it appears there are die cracks at leaf 6 on both coins. You might want to compare them to the P reverses on Dr. Haxby's site to see if you can match them up.

Biedercoins, there are over 230 die pairs identified on Dr. Haxby's website and some people are trying to collect all the different die pairs ( much like some U.S. collectors do with large cents and Half Cents). The next date of Canadian cent was 1876-H.
Edited by Phil310
08/03/2016 10:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2016  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, now I understand - as much as any non-enthusiast can. Who knows, in time the fever may catch up to me. As I stand on my balcony looking at the Lake, Ontario is just over the horizon. Greetings to any collectors in the Algoma region!
- About two score and seven+ years ago, I began a Lincoln cent collection. I have all, most in AU or better & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, the Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, and after that it just seemed like a good way to show the evolution of US coinage. Most non-nums to whom I've shown these react with the phrase, "I had no idea!" That alone shows their worth.
- I've completed MS sets of Jeffersons & MS specimens of other 5 nickels; Franklins done. Roosies mostly done. I enjoy hunting for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.
-- If I left my early Washington quarter book at one of y'alls house, please ring me up.
ANA Lifer #: 6565
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2016  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sabotai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thank you Phil! Coin enthusiasts never cease to amaze me with their extensive knowledge and attention to detail. I didn't notice any of that stuff.

I took some better photos (outside the cases and in natural light) if anyone else wants to chime in or verify. I can sometimes take good photos through the 2x2s, but I think the ones that aren't fitted well end up with too much glare from the lack of surface tension. Now I think I see a lot more. Is that a long die crack through the 'O' and along the 'C' on coin c's reverse?

Coin A

Coin B

Coin C

Pillar of the Community
United States
761 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2016  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that is a die crack through the O on the reverse of coin C. Yours is a very late die state of reverse P15. The coin was made just before the die was retired. Here is another example of P15 in about the same die state.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05