Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1899-O Micro O Vs Regular O

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2817 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2016  9:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like to post separately some different coins; all of which are 1899-O Morgans.

This is an attempt to save some time by avoiding the entire attribution process on each coin by eliminating the micro o VAM possibility based only upon on the authenticity if the micro o.

Please opine on specimens A, B, C, & D. If a consensus supports the existence of a micro o, full obverse and reverse shots will appear on the alleged authentic micro o coin etc.

thx,
mdp

This is sample A:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2817 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2016  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sample B

Pillar of the Community
United States
2817 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2016  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sample C:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2817 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2016  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and finally, sample D:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mark,

I don't believe any are micro O's. It's easier for me to make that call if I can see a complete reverse photo. Micro's are about 1/4 of the height of the D and O of DOLLAR. Normal O's are just about 1/2 the height. Here's a visual comparison courtesy of VamWorld.

Dave

Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AU90o to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None is micro o.
Just imagine putting the mintmark in between DO of DOLLAR. If the edge of the mintmark touches the edge of DO, then it's not a micro o.
Another way I look at it, the micro o size is about the same size as the bow knot right above it.
Those above are just my way... others might have different views.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1460 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the photos posted are not micro O Morgan dollars. Sorry
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05