Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Eight Weeks Of Dated European Coinage (1234 To 1500 Ad)

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  5:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There are several of us who are pretty interested in medieval European coins, especially those that list the year of mintage in the inscription. In fact, a question about one of these coins was the primary reason that I joined CCF and was the subject of my first CCF post.

Therefore, I propose opening up this thread, which will give us all an opportunity to post our dated European coins. We will use the format of Levinson's 2007 catalog, "The Early Dated Coins of Europe 1234-1500". As such, only coins that are (1) dated with their AD date and (2) minted in Europe are eligible for this thread. I've outlined some basic rules for this thread below, but my primary thought is to allow a week per geographic section:

09/18 to 09/24: Region I (Germany)
09/25 to 10/01: Region II (Southern Netherlands)
10/02 to 10/08: Region III (Northern Netherlands)
10/09 to 10/15: Region IV (Hasbsburgs and their neighbors)
10/16 to 10/22: Region V (Switzerland)
10/23 to 10/29: Region VI (Scandinavia)
10/30 to 11/05: Region VII (France)

I expect that the bulk of our posts will occur in first three or four weeks, but I'm also very interested to see what folks will be posting in the later weeks.

How cool would it be if we thus discovered a heretofore unknown variety? Levinson states that the inspiration for his book was a list of coins that had not been published in Frey, so let's see if we can help him if he ever decides to make a follow-up edition of his book!

I've been somewhat wordy in this post so far, so let me get down to the rules for this thread now:

1. You must own the coin and post photos of your coin.
2. Coins need to be dated using the AD system, from Europe, and made in 1500 or earlier.
3. New finds notwithstanding, if it isn't in Levinson, you shouldn't be posting it here. There are tons of cool coins that do not meet one of these requirements. I know that we'd love to see them, just not in this thread
4. Please only one coin per post (to ease page loads).
5. At midnight CCF time each Saturday night, we will shift to the next geographic region as outlined above.

None of the dated European coins minted prior to 1501 could be considered common or cheap, but there are quite a number that are generally available to collectors. If you are looking to make your first purchase in this field, I would encourage you to look at the vcoins website as several dealers there trade in this material.

Time to start posting!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
09/19/2016 06:38 am
Learn More...
United States
22413 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like an interesting thread. I don't really have any coins related to it but I would love to see what others have.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would love to see what others have.

Ok Ron, then I'll start this off with a Zinsgroschen of the German Duchy of Saxony-Ernestine. It is dated 1498 and attributed as Levinson 1-391a. The obv inscription is FRI AL IO D G DVCES SAXONIE and the the rev inscription is GROSSVS NOVVS DUCVM SAXONIE 98.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
22413 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. Is it a small thin coin which seem to be common for medieval issues?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!

Quote:
Is it a small thin coin which seem to be common for medieval issues?

Not this one--it's 26 mm in diameter and has a mass of about 2.5 g.
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
22413 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like these larger examples. Cool coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4273 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Handsome coin there, Dave. I hope you get some participation on this thread. I'll be watchin' and enjoying from the sidelines. (With the exception of the change in my pocket, I don't own any post-3rd century coins...and, as an Eastern kingdoms snob, I have nothing from Europe anyway)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bob, thanks! I've got a few more to post this week, but am hoping for some good participation from the rest of the medieval collectors too.
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
4234 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2016  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll also just be spectating on this thread, but it should be fun to watch as long as we get some more participation.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2405 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2016  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds cool but aside from Lithuania I just have a few English ones...and no region covers England?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2016  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
no region covers England

I'm not aware of any British coin with a date of 1500 or earlier on it, although I'm not sure when the first one was.
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2016  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a schilling from the German Duchy of Pommerania that was minted at Damm. It is dated 1494 and the attribution is Levinson I-320. The obv inscription is DVX BVGSLVS STETTIN and the rev inscription is MONETA N OVA DAM 9&. It is 21 mm in diameter and has a mass of 0.9 g.

I had originally posted it on CCF here:
http://goccf.com/t/249407

As noted in that thread, I had reached out to CCF (and then Levinson himself) because the inscription on this coin is different from what is listed in the Levinson catalog.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
4234 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2016  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the first dated English coins were struck in 1547.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2016  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't participate. :(
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2405 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2016  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I was mistaken... my coins are all in the 1500's and later... Elizabeth, James etc... This isn't one I can participate in either.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5391 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2016  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have much for this thread (one reason I didn't start it myself after the discussion over at the other thread). It'll be interesting to see what coins CCF members post here, and how many there are from before the 1490s. I also like the weekly focus on regions (rather than decades, etc).
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05