Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Rare? Gold Color, Strange Planchet Lincoln Penny From 1960

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2016  10:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Annonatalie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am new to the forum and have a 1960 Lincoln penny I was hoping the forum could help me with. It is light gold in color with a planchet that appears to be a separate piece altogether but I'm not completely certain. Is this a rare coin or a fake? If it's real, how do these imperfections happen? If it's fake, how do you change the color like that? At first glance, I thought maybe someone painted it, but it does not flake off or come off in any way that I've tried. Is there a way to safely test this without harming the coin, if it is in fact real? If it is a real rare coin, is it worth anything? I have a lot of old coins and paper money from my grandfather and this one was the newest one in his collection, just trying to figure out why he kept it. Thank you in advance for your help!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2016  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks plated. It has a collar around it so maybe it was used as jewelry. It shows some original color where the plating has come off.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29892 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2016  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF and
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4244 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2016  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to say it was plated and nothing more, but then I noticed the little thing at the bottom of the reverse. I think it looks like some sort of Magician's coin with a little tab to ease opening. It wouldn't have any numismatic value, but it would be an interesting piece. Could we get close-ups of that region?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2531 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2016  09:06 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
agreed Magician's coin..
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2016  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and
Learn More...
United States
22560 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2016  10:53 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe there is a 1960 dime inside!

BTW, that's a "small date".
Edited by nss-52
09/28/2016 10:54 am
Learn More...
United States
78214 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2016  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

I think it is encased and was used a jewelry.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18637 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2016  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15922 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2016  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a cent in a bezel used for cheap jewelry. The "thing" at the bottom of the rev is where it got torn off and bent the edge of the bezel up. These get posted quite frequently. Typically the bezel is a steel alloy and they are magnetic. The coins are usually either silver or nickel plated.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42093 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2016  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4871 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2016  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a Magicians coin...just a coin that was encased in a crappy bezel. Bezel should be magnetic.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05