Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fnb Of Stewartsville, Mo: Officers Through The Years

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2016  7:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The First National Bank of Stewartsville, Missouri was chartered in November 1889 and lasted beyond the note issuing period.

Andrew J. Culbertson (1840-1919) was President from 1889 to his death in 1919. He was a veteran of the Civil War and practiced medicine in the 1870s to about 1880. Culbertson took up the mercantile trade around that time. He constructed a brick building on the corner of Main Street that would later house the Gantz Bros. store.

Samuel C. Bauer (1856-1933) became President of FNB in 1920 and served until his death.

Joseph Chrisman, Sr. (1836-1891) was the first cashier of the bank. He had previously been cashier at the DeKalb-Clinton Bank.

Benjamin F. Clark (1860-?) served as cashier of this bank from 1891-99. Prior to this, he managed his father's drug store.

John Andrew Deppen (1850-1919) served as Vice-President of the bank. I found a record of this in a 1911 Rand McNally International Bankers Directory. He was also listed as a Vice-President in a different 1917 publication. Deppen's prior work history included post master at Stewartsville and general store proprietor.

Thomas L. King (1828-1907) was listed as a Vice-President at First National in 1895. He was a judge in DeKalb County.

Freeman P. Cornish (1876-1944) served as Cashier from 1900-05

William David Snow (1864-1943) served as Cashier from 1906 until the 1933. His signature as President appears on Series 1929 Type 2 currency issued by the bank. He was Nell Snow's father.

Joel Casper Watson (1846-1924) served as Vice-President of this bank from at least 1917 until his death.

Frank A Gantz (1864-1941) was listed an Assistant Cashier in a 1917 publication. He owned and operated a lumber yard at the time of his death.

Nell Snow (1891-1976) was an Assistant Cashier in 1911 and continuing through 1933. She would eventually become Cashier at the bank. Her signature as an Assistant Cashier appears on a Series 1902 $10. It also appears on Series 1929 Type 2 currency along with her fathers.

I finally noticed that I had a view of the FNB building on an old postcard.

My guess is the following two pictures likely date from 1940-1.

(L to R) Frank A. Gantz, Alfred Fritz Gantz, other 3 unidentified at this time

Sources:

1. http://genealogytrails.com/mo/clinton/bios_c.htm

2. Roster of State, District and County Officers of the State of Missouri 1888

3. The American Bank Reporter: And Attorney List Volume 96 (1917)
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37939 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MVC - Thanks for the history here!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's revisit this thread with a couple photos of an 1882 Brown Back of Charter #4160

Thanks for the history @MeadowviewCollector
Pillar of the Community
United States
1322 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Check babysitr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add babysitr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
now that is a sweet National! I own several of my hometown nationals that are known to exist...I need to start some bank history, but not sure how to get started, any suggestions would be appreciated...Don't want to steal this thresd, should I start another?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2016  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I own two notes on this bank, the Series 1902 $10 I mentioned in the post. And a small size Type 1 $10 that I haven't taken a picture of.

Photo taken by Heritage Auction

I also have some promissory notes like the ones below as well as several rather plain looking bank checks.

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2019  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MvleMO55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Revisiting this! My Mother grew up very near Stewartsville on a farm. Any idea how many women signers on national bank notes there were...can't be a whole lot of them!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37939 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2019  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great question!

to the Paper Money Forum!
Edited by Coinfrog
06/23/2019 9:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any idea how many women signers on national bank notes there were...can't be a whole lot of them!

I am unsure of a total number myself.

An ongoing project with the SPMC is a database of national banks and bankers.

There were several female bank officers listed. In the "Signer" column I saw several Y (for yes) and a few had a clickable link which showed an image of the signature.

Of course, the database is a work in progress and some simply had a Y but no image of a signature; others had a dash which means its not known yet.

Pretty cool to see how the database grows and what information is waiting to be discovered.

-MV

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37939 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most interesting, thanks for that.
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MvleMO55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Pollack data shows all the signatures...but I wish there was a way to sort through faster....14,000 banks is a lot of stuff to look through! LOL.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05