Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RCM November 2016 Releases

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community

Canada
597 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  02:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It looks like the penny is coming back (at least for numismatic collector purposes)!

There will be a 5-piece Legacy Of The Penny set released next month similar to the Nickel set.

2 Two Oz Pennies
3 One Oz Pennies

-----

There's also a really ugly kilo coin. Really really ugly.

It's a collage of random coins thrown onto the surface.

It literally looks like someone swallowed a bunch of random coins and vomited on a plate. Of all coins in Canadian history, for some reason the 2015 Flag and 2015 Poppy have some prime real estate on the surface of this coin. :/

-----

They should really bring back pennies for the PL sets! Everyone loves collecting pennies.
Edited by wilsonwu89
10/12/2016 06:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
639 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justsilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I already posted images on other coin forum hour ago.

Going to buy Penny Set ( 5 coins, 7 oz, $710 )

Thread 54011
Edited by justsilver
10/12/2016 02:31 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4230 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that's one ugly and poorly designed kilo coin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3981 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of all coins in Canadian history, for some reason the 2015 Flag and 2015 Poppy have some prime real estate on the surface of this coin.

I would suggest that this was done so that collectors focused on modern Canadian coins would see coins they immediately recognize and thus have a link to the new coin.

I agree that its hard to justify how the two recent coins can be considered "historic" but the kilo coin's design (IMO) is all about enticing a purchase vs. absolute historical accuracy.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Valued Member
Canada
330 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SoulBrotherNo3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That penny set does look nice. Mintage is 3,000 too. If you want this one you'll have to act fast I think.

Now that they've brought the penny back, 2017 is the 5 year anniversary of the last penny. When will that coin be released.......hahaha!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6490 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will agree with all posters above:

the RCM use the idea of Canadian_coins, but implemented it worse way.

7oz Penny Set....yes, it , but considering the fact that item basically (almost) repeats the old and good 2012 Penny set, I really not sure, that it worth spending CAD 700.
It will be grabbed by people for sure, resold for 1K or close, but what new to display here?
"This is my 2012 Penny Set, minted on the last penny year, and this is ....2017 Penny set, bigger and pink gold gilded"

This set, I sure will not be available as singles, but could be nice to get specific coins: Big Cent as 2oz and 38mm 1967 or 1982 Penny

ADDED:
Did we have some Goose coin in the October release or something like this....?
Edited by Silveroid
10/12/2016 09:37 am
Valued Member
Canada
330 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SoulBrotherNo3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That kilo coin is ultra high relief and antique finish. It will be a case of it looking better in hand than the pictures. It does seem like not a lot of thought went into that design though.

I bought the Coat of Arms kilo and have to say it's far superior (IMO) to this one.
Pictures will have to be seen before my final judgement on this kilo.
Higher price makes it even less attractive.
Edited by SoulBrotherNo3
10/12/2016 09:36 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1530 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any images available?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4230 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must omit the penny set this time has good sizes compared to the 2012 set, a little high on mintage thou.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
597 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will the pennies be sold separately or do you have to buy the set?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6490 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Will the pennies be sold separately or do you have to buy the set?

This is set with coins mintage 3.000 and not subscription.

I do not think, that the set and all single coins will be available.
The single coins will be available graded on eBay....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2569 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The new set is similar to the 5 coin penny set sold in 2012. No singles from that set either.

Actually it is the same set except 2 of the coins are larger and they are rose gold tinted. Is it really worth $700 buying a recycled product?

Edited by MoneyPenney
10/12/2016 4:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
644 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCanuck94 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the first time the Mint has done a penny in a 2oz format correct? I think that's pretty neat. Since I don't have high hopes on getting my goose dollar from CP I may buy this set instead.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6490 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Actually it is the same set except 2 of the coins are larger and they are rose gold tinted. Is it really worth $700 buying a recycled product?

Basically the same, just changes:

**1982 Penny and not 2012 - so it is not round - this is the major difference
**Bigger canvas - makes the coins more appealing
**good use of the rose gold gilding

Still doesn't worth (imo) to pay CAD 700 to have similar set.
And 2017 have no meaning for Penny (only 5-th anniversary of decommissioning)
So - 2017...optional set, 2012 was "must have" at that time.

Some singles - nice to get
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2569 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When the penny ended in 2012, people speculated it would not be the last we saw of the penny. Those people are right. It was really not the "Farewell to the Penny" as they hyped. So we now have a five year anniversary set. Will we have a 10 year anniversary of the penny next? The 15th? 20th?

How long are they going to recycle the penny? Will we next have a gold plated 5 oz penny next.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
597 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish they used a different Queen on the Last Penny.

They could have went with the 90s Queen bust and still kept the Octagonal shape.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05