Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Medieval Coin With Griffon And Crown-Identification Help Requested

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,099Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3935 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  09:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin weighs 3.0 grams and has a diameter of about 28 millimeters.

I cannot make out any specific words, unfortunately, and most of the letters are worn/ clipped. Although the imagery seems fairly distinctive I cannot locate a match. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Poland
3201 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it says GROSSI PRAGENSES around the lion and DEI GRATIA REX BOEMIE on the other side. I suppose the inner legend would have the ruler's name WINCEZLAVS... (or something similar). It would mean it's a Bohemian coin.
Edited by DL20K
10/12/2016 11:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
662 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aiglet7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DL20K - you would appear to have the right answer! This link shows further details of the coin:-

http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces81396.html
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3201 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And here's what might be the second word in the inner circle around the crown: TERCIVS (the third).

Compare the position of visible letters on your specimen with this old e-bay image which I enlarged:

Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bohemian groat of Wenceslaus IV of Bohemia (WENZESLAVS TERCIVS) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wence...V_of_Bohemia
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3935 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin forum, many thanks! I need to brush up on my medieval lettering.

I apologize, I guess that is a lion not a griffon.
Edited by oriole
10/12/2016 5:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3935 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin forum, just one further question:

Why is the coin enscribed Wenzelaus tercius (the third) when it is a coin of what history records as Wenzeslaus IV?
Learn More...
Australia
13487 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2016  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Differences in counting usually arise from differences between actual history and official history. In this case, the king we now call Wenceslaus III was the uncrowned son of Wenceslaus II, who ruled Bohemia for just over one year before being assassinated. He apparently either issued no coins, or issued coins only in the name of his late father. When the king we call Wencesalus IV came to power sixty years later, he seems to have conveniently forgotten (or perhaps even been unaware) that the previous Wenceslaus III had ever existed.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2016  12:54 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Wenceslaus III (1305-1306) was formal ruler of Bohemia, but he was assassinated in Olomouc, 04-06-1306 before his coronation.
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3935 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2016  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too unimportant to count at the time, but later history is more generous. Makes sense.

Well, being royal was rough in those days, but they had real power if they could grab it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,099Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05