Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Please With This 1904-O Morgan

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7048 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2016  11:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had 10 of these and have VAM'd the first 5 or so, but this one has me stumped. Looks like a HIGH O, centered and upright, but that's as far as I can get. Looks like a normal closed 9 date. Can't find a single die crack. Would be grateful for any point in the right direction. My best guess is VAM 13. It has all the die polishing features, etc, but no die cracks, is that possible? Thanks, Ed

Edited by edweather
11/08/2016 11:37 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2016  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
04o really isn't my bag and I don't have time to check VW right now, it's vote time baby! But that's one heck of a high O. Chute72 is an 04o guy. Maybe send him a PM.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8068 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2016  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VAM 13 EDS - date position is correct, heavy die polishing lines present in motto, in wreath bow and around the bow and at the left wing-neck gap, O MM is high, upright and centered.
Note that on VW the VAM 13 plate coin listed as EDS I would consider to be E-MDS. Your coin still retains some prooflike surfaces on the reverse. Die cracks do not a VAM make, with a few exceptions.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2016  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paralyse is correct, and especially about the cracks on VAM-13. In later stages, it is so distinct that VAMmers tend to rely on it for identification.
Maybe later I can get a few detailed photos of some details, just so you can see some features that don't change with die age.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2016  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few file marks that are unique to the VAM-13.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2016  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the LDS there is a prominent die crack that goes from the first right star to the hair.

Less obvious is a crack through the hair bun.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7048 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2016  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, thanks guys. And thanks for the photos. I'll check on some of those file marks. Ed
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05