Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice Little Cherrypick...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  12:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
...and now my most clashed up specimen. You can actually see most of the obverse on the reverse. Cracked up slab so I got it for a little below standard 63 money

I'll have to get her reslabbed at the next show but who cares lol. In 63 these go for around $300 but about 10yrs ago in the height of the bubble they went for around $1k

Pillar of the Community
United States
8920 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That has to be the best M clash in the series. Nice pick!
Member SSDC, TNA
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11930 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool Morgan

Very nice pickup.

----------------------

I am curious about the slab. I have picked up some with damaged
slabs. Have you ever sent them in to just have the coin and label
put into a new slab. If so ... what was the process?
GoldRush58 - GR58
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dustin6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pick!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15919 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wowzer example. Don't you wonder what could crack a NGC slab this badly "by accident"?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really mox. Something did it. Maybe a hard fall on a hard surface. If someone was trying to crack it it would be cracked out. But yeah. Crazy huh. Maybe if fell hard and was stepped on, who knows.

GR, I haven't done it yet but I think its only like $10 for a reholder. You can send them in like a grading submission but all they do is reholder them with the same grade. At a show you can drop it off and should get it back in a few hours or next day
Pillar of the Community
United States
795 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CGCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome pick ups!

I've been starting to get into VAMs and, wow thats a whole new beast.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8920 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe if fell hard and was stepped on, who knows

Maybe Chumlee...
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You VAM people are crazy!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice clash Cascade!! I noticed the "broken" lower neck on yours and both examples on VAM world. But, its not a diagnostic for it, and doesn't give any explanation for it. Any ideas?

I ask because I have an 1887 VAM 10 with a similar mark, but couldn't figure out what it was. I did post it on the NGC forum when I bought it several years ago, and most felt it was either a strike through or detached lamination. Given there are several examples for the 32a, I'd question both these explanations.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you are seeing is a bunch of grease or other substance on the die. This VAM is well known for it, and the reverse die has a bunch of areas as well. Great VAM, and nice pick its one of my more favorite VAM's.
Valued Member
Canada
458 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigchip22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these old silver dollars are beautiful to always look at, for me and any old coin I think of all what happen to it and how many hands it has gone through
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah. You're probably right russ. They're recessed so it must be some sort of gunk or something stuck to the die. I wonder if all 32a's have these artifacts or if they're are "clean" strikes
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2016  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know of less than a handful, that have a clear OB and no issue on the reverse including the viewers left side wing root where some kind of garage seemed to stay. While this VAM is not overly rare, coins with no grease or what ever dropped on the dies post clash are vary Un-Common.
Edited by twohawks
11/26/2016 12:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2016  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I remember one of the arguments against it being a strike through was the way the neck still came to a point. I think most concluded there must have been a primary strike where the strike through didn't follow the neck line, and pressed the excess gunk out of the die in the area. I guess any struck after that point till the grease/debris was cleaned out of the neck area would appear like this.

I've been looking for an 1887 VAM 10 that somewhat matched mine to somewhat validate this, but I guess this 32a does the same. Thanks again for the opinions!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05