Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1989 P Roosevelt Dime New Error Discovery?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 13,596Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  10:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ross Son to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Finally I think I found the right place to post my questions about coins as I do my coin roll hunting.

I found this 1989 P dime and right off the bet it looked different. this dime wasn't on my list of coins to hunt for, and I am wondering if anyone has seen this or know if this is an error coin.

I compared against another dime of the same year and mint mark and the differences are too great to just bypass it.

Here is a side by side picture. The coin in question is the one on the right. The one on the left is what you commonly see.

Notice the differences on all the letters, date and mint mark in terms of thickness. Also the rim is wider on the coin in question.

Close up of the coin question

The mint mark and the first "9" is doubled die. I hope you can see it in the picture.

The reverse also has a wider rim when compared to the normal 1989 P dime.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2016  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks normal but with die wear. As the die enters later die states the outer devices become wider/flatter and through use and abrasion the devices have less detail (e.g. Hair detail).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46766 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2016  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The die that struck the coin is in the VLDS (Very-Late-Die-State) when your coin was struck. Note the area where the motto and front of the face is. Note the lines that are in the fields in that area? That is called die flow lines. Note the devices on motto how they are distorted from excess die wear. On the 'LIB' on LIBERTY you can see there was an issue with a small amount of grease blocking the formation of the tops of those letters. Note how they look wider at the tops. There was a bit of grease that filled parts of those devices on that area. (probably from a wiped down of the dies to remove unwanted grease) So that grease may have prevented the rim from forming fully in that area. The devices are tapered on the die that makes the tops of a normal set of devices thinner at the top. When grease get in that area, it only lets the lower with part of the devices to form and look, wider, just like your coin. I'm thinking the weakness on the reverse at 10:00 is part of the same issue. The grease prevent the full strike on the tops of 'TED' on the reverse on UNITED. So while it looks different, there is no premium for this. sorry, Welcome to the forum.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2016  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ross Son to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the well written explanation Mr. Coop. It makes total sense. That being said my copy of Cherrypicker's guide will arrive tonight and I will do my premium coin hunting based on the items from that book. I haven't seen an actual coin with doubled die yet, and was hoping this would be my first time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2016  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Forum Ross Son. You may not want to limit yourself to just the coins in Cherry Pickers. There are many varieties and errors to find. Read and post here often and you'll learn what to look for. There are a lot of good reference sites out there as well. Google errors, varieties, etc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2016  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dustin6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!! AS mentioned Before. It is no doubled die. But stay with us and you will learn a lot
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevin118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same coin and looks like a room if u look closely at the p it looks like a p stacked on top of another p but on my coin the top P is slightly rotated

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 13,596Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05