Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Some Early Gold

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 99 / Views: 8,312Next Topic
Page: of 7
Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  03:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MorganGuy78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just got interested into early U.S. gold and would like to see some of y'alls.
Learn More...
United States
14463 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  03:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has been a while since I have posted pictures of this coin anywhere, so here goes.

This was the first pre 1934 $2.50 gold piece I added to my collection. It took me a long time to save the money to get it.

If you get into forming an early gold type, which I'll warn you is very hard to do, you will find that the quarter eagles ($2.50) coins are toughest by far. Even if you have the money, the coins don't show up that often, not even at the major auctions.

It has been my experience that this design, the Capped Bust, Heraldic Eagle with Stars, is the most common type. That REALLY tells you something about how scarce these coins are.

The quarter eagle was the "misfit" denomination among the early gold coins. Businesses that used a lot of gold in their day to day operations preferred the $5 and $10 coins because they were less trouble to count. For the private inidividual, $2.50 was a lot of money and too much to be carry around on a regular basis. Therefore demand for the quarter eagles was low, and so were the mintages.
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Omegaraptor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice adjustment marks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4805 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  10:41 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have anything really early, but I have these from the 1850s:

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice adjustment marks!
(1804 quarter eagle)

Yes, and the interesting thing is nearly all of the 1804 quarter eagles I have seen have adjustment marks.

Even more interesting would be to have an 1804 dime. They used the same reverse on both pieces.

I once had a shot at one of the finest known examples of the 1804 dime, but I ran out of money to bid it. A dealer friend, who was acting as an agent for someone else at the auction, signaled me that he had reached his limit, but my bank account had also reached its limit.
Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorganGuy78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins so far everyone. Here is mine.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56895 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea for a thread!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4210 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MorganGuy. Yes, this is a great idea! Most of my gold purchases have been for the last page of my 7070.
I will try and get a picture posted in the next few days. Have to pick my book up from the SDB.
Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorganGuy78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SCDave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

1847 O Eagle

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9141 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The oldest gold I have (non-fractional) is 1878. :(
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
601 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turingmach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, let's do another quarter eagle. This is an 1829. The "late date" early gold coins are rarer than the many of the older pieces from the early 1800s. This type was struck on a closed collar.

And here is an 1825 quarter eagle that was struck on an "open" collar. The edge reeded had to be added in a separate step in the minting process.

Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EarlyTurban to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous Quarter Eagles Bill... in fact, all of the gold here looks great. I really enjoy looking at each one. Since early QEs have been presented nicely, here are a few Half Eagles -

ET
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56895 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2016  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ET - Really wonderful examples, you have a fine eye. Congrats!
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 99 / Views: 8,312Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05